Replace Winter Cover

kcindc

Gold Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
TFP Guide
Sep 2, 2011
Fairfax, VA
I need to replace my meyco safety mesh cover. My cover has many holes that let in all kinds of debris and a few seams split when I removed it this spring. I always have leaves and other yard debris that fill the void between my coping and cover. I have many very large poplar and oak trees that dump enough leaves to fill two big dump trucks. I also have a large layer of fine silt that seems to make it through the cover, too.

This year, like past years, I opened with zero CYA, a green swamp and ridiculous amount of worms. I always close at 55 degrees, CL shock level for my CYA level, PH and TA where they should be and I add polyquat 60. This year wasn't as bad a years past because I added more polyquat 60 in the spring prior to opening and that seemed to help. I added a little water to help move the algeacide around.

I received a postcard from Meyco giving me an ID for my cover. I really hate that they would make me go through a distributor to reorder a new cover since they have my pattern on file.

I have a big dog and foster dogs, so I hear that a solid cover is not recommended for dogs, right? Would a higher weave safety cover make my opening easier? How much more expensive are the tighter weaves vs the regular weaves?

Any other tips to help me next year?

Thanks!

I have never heard that solid covers were not recommended for dogs. If that was the case auto covers would be obsolete. As a builder I only recommend solid. When the ultra mesh covers came out I sold three of them as a test to see if they were everything that was advertised. I wouldn't have a mesh cover if it was free. That's my opinion, there are others that wouldn't have solid. That being said get what you are comfortable with. I opened a solid cover pool Monday and you could count the holes in the vgb main drain cover lid water was perfectly clear.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.