Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New Pool Update

1. Back To Top    #1

New Pool Update

I have almost been up and running for two weeks. My most recent test all have been looking good.

CYA 50 to 60 Was hard for me to judge not seeing black dot.
    TA 90
    PH 7.6
    CC .5

Here is my question My chlorine was at 6.5 as of this morning and as of tonight after a sunny 90 degree day it was at 1.0. Is that not a big drop in one day? That means 100 oz of bleach a day. Should I up stabilizer more or see how this goes. I was expecting 20 to 40 oz per day average.
    Pool Size: 24' Lomart Whispering Wind II 13000 gallons
    Pool Type: Aboveground
    Pump:Hayward 1 1/2 HP Power Flo Matrix 2 Speed
    Filter: Hayward S230T 250lb Sand Filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New Pool Update

Your CYA is already at the upper end of the recommended range. That FC loss is more than you would get from just the sun. I would suggest raising the FC and doing the OCLT.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Tested my FC last night at it and this morning and there was .5 drop and as of tonight 5.5 drop. It is in full sun from 10 to 5. I am running filter 24/7 on low. Could that be part to blame?

4. Back To Top    #4

Chlorine is only lost to organics and the sun. You appeared to pass the OCLT, so I am wondering if your CYA is not a good bit lower than you think. Or a bunch of people/animals peed in your pool today
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

5. Back To Top    #5

No one has been in the pool yet. Exactly how is the Taylor CYA test to be read. It was cloudy but I could still see the black dot some at 50 but not much

6. Back To Top    #6

https://www.taylortechnologies.com/C...P?ContentID=36

You need to do the test outside in bright indirect light with the tube at your waist. Pour it back and forth a few times to see what you get.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

7. Back To Top    #7

One thing I'll add, is be careful that you're not seeing the reflection of your head looking down into the tube, and mistaking it for the black dot! I've done that a few times. lol
    24'x40' 25k gal Imperial Mountain Pond IGP, full 28 mil VynAll Ocean Breakers liner. All Hayward system: 140k BTU HeatPro heat pump, 3/4HP single speed TriStar 2" Pump, DE6020 filter, AquaPlus Automation/Salt Chlorination, remote controls, ColorLogic 4.0 lighting. Polaris 280 w/PB4-60 BP. TF100 & K1766 test kits. Rinox Palazzo pavers and Spherik coping. Pool installed 9/2013, project completed 6/16/14.

8. Back To Top    #8

I am going to try and retest this evening or tomorrow on the CYA. I am thinking that maybe it was me not reading it properly. I did only add 3lbs in trying to be careful of not going to high. If my pool is in direct sun for as longs as 7 to 8 hours what would be the recommended level? Would it be a bit higher for that reason? And lastly what is a normal drop of FC per day in this setting?

9. Back To Top    #9

We would recommend your CYA to be around 50ppm if you have a lot of sunlight ... which is where your current test indicates, but your FC loss is contradictory.

Typically pools loose 2-3ppm of FC each day.
    Jason, TFP Moderator