Pump Run Time?

Curtsam

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 14, 2013
Eastern Oklahoma / Arkansas
My PB told me that he runs his pump 24/7 and his pump has been running for 16 years now. I think I will go ahead and run mine when up 24/7 also.

Pros- Less wear on pump. Off/On/Off/On
Pros- Cleaner Water

Cons- Little bit more money monthly

I got the article below of the internet. Give me your insight please! I know this has been discussed before. Any drawbacks other then money spent???

Thank you, :study:

Run your swimming pool pump 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Yes, you read right; 24/7. The response I get from new clients when I tell them this is, “how much is that going to cost”? I’m going to explain how running your pump continuously will actually save you money in the long run.

By running a swimming pool pump continuously, the filter is able to do its job more efficiently. The filter is able to catch and trap more particles that are in the water which means less chemical usage, which saves money. I have new customers that come into my store looking for a quick fix to clear a cloudy or green pool. By the time they spend money on shock, algaecide, and clarifiers it would have been cheaper to run the pump 24/7. A lot of people try to run their pools only 10-12 hours a day. These are the swimming pools that have the most problems. By running your pool pump continuously it might cost $15-$30 per month more in electricity but you’ll save trips to the store to purchase chemicals that cost more than it would have if the pump ran 24/7. The biggest advantage is that by not having to fix cloudy or green water, your pool will always be ready to swim in, not work on.

The on/off cycles only wear on the motor if you are flipping it on and off with seconds in between. Heat builds up in the motor. Turning it on for 6 or 8 hours and then off causes no wear on the motor.

I run mine for 6 hours a day and the only time the pool looks dirty is after a dust storm and when the $#%#$ mesquite tree decides its time to drop pollen. Solid green surface. What a mess.

John
( 40 year electronics tech )

And just because the debris is caught in the filter does not mean it lowers chlorine demand.

Chlorine prevents algae period. Does not matter if pump is running or not.

"The filter is able to catch and trap more particles that are in the water which means less chemical usage, which saves money." That's only true if you remove the debris from the filter every day. Otherwise, all you've accomplished is moving the dirt from the pool to the filter. They share the same water and the same chemicals. It's a closed system. The bleach doesn't care if the organic debris is laying on the floor, stuck in the skimmer basket, or caught in the filter. It's still there, using chlorine, until you physically remove it.

I get by with about three hours a day filtering. I don't know where this guy is buying his electricity, but it sure ain't SoCal Edison! With tiered rates, the bill could get huge in a hurry running a filter 24/7!

My PB told me that he runs his pump 24/7 and his pump has been running for 16 years now. I think I will go ahead and run mine when up 24/7 also . . . . Cons - Little bit more money monthly . . . Any drawbacks other than money spent??? . . . . "Run your swimming pool pump 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Yes, you read right; 24/7. The response I get from new clients when I tell them this is, “how much is that going to cost”? I’m going to explain how running your pump continuously will actually save you money in the long run."

Yeah, RIGHT! :rolleyes: Terrible advice, especially now that every government agency is encouraging consumers to conserve resources.

Our Hawaii electricity is the nation's most expensive --> http://www.utilitydive.com/news/the-10-states-with-the-highest-electricity-prices/298112/ Our electrical bill reminds us monthly. :grrrr:

We run our filter on low speed for six hours daily; high speed as required for cleaning and water features.

Works for us!

I don't think it's at all necessary to run a pump that long or often. I do 10 hours a day. My pump does 80 gallons per minute, so I figure the whole pool 'turns over' every 3+ hours - more than enough filter time. If I ran my pump 24/7, I'd wind up doing more frequent DE changes / filter cleaning than I'd like.

The response I get from new clients when I tell them this is, “how much is that going to cost”? I’m going to explain how running your pump continuously will actually save you money in the long run.

A lot of people try to run their pools only 10-12 hours a day. These are the swimming pools that have the most problems. By running your pool pump continuously it might cost $15-$30 per month.

first off, this PB has no idea what the heck he is talking about. secondly...lets try and do some math. assuming a 1hp single speed pump, which is pretty standard. assuming $0.15/kwh electric rates, running a pump 24/7 will cost you $82 a month. running the pump 6 hours a day (which is more than I do, and im in Florida), would cost you $21 a month. that's a savings of $60 a month.

I would not take any pool maintenance advice from whoever wrote that article.

run your pump 1) long enough to clear the water and 2) long enough to provide proper chlorination. other than that, is in excess.

****, I just replied to a 2 year old thread....sorry

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.