Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pump Run Time?

1. Back To Top    #1

Pump Run Time?

My PB told me that he runs his pump 24/7 and his pump has been running for 16 years now. I think I will go ahead and run mine when up 24/7 also.

Pros- Less wear on pump. Off/On/Off/On
    Pros- Cleaner Water

Cons- Little bit more money monthly

I got the article below of the internet. Give me your insight please! I know this has been discussed before. Any drawbacks other then money spent???

Thank you,

Run your swimming pool pump 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Yes, you read right; 24/7. The response I get from new clients when I tell them this is, “how much is that going to cost”? I’m going to explain how running your pump continuously will actually save you money in the long run.

By running a swimming pool pump continuously, the filter is able to do its job more efficiently. The filter is able to catch and trap more particles that are in the water which means less chemical usage, which saves money. I have new customers that come into my store looking for a quick fix to clear a cloudy or green pool. By the time they spend money on shock, algaecide, and clarifiers it would have been cheaper to run the pump 24/7. A lot of people try to run their pools only 10-12 hours a day. These are the swimming pools that have the most problems. By running your pool pump continuously it might cost $15-$30 per month more in electricity but you’ll save trips to the store to purchase chemicals that cost more than it would have if the pump ran 24/7. The biggest advantage is that by not having to fix cloudy or green water, your pool will always be ready to swim in, not work on.
    2014, IG 20,000 gl 18x34 Vinyl Liner / Waterfall / SWG / Sand Filter /
    Dolphin M4 Robot / TF-100 Test Kit is used / Beer is consumed /
    *Stamped Concrete Decking*

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pump Run Time?

The on/off cycles only wear on the motor if you are flipping it on and off with seconds in between. Heat builds up in the motor. Turning it on for 6 or 8 hours and then off causes no wear on the motor.

I run mine for 6 hours a day and the only time the pool looks dirty is after a dust storm and when the $#%#$ mesquite tree decides its time to drop pollen. Solid green surface. What a mess.

John
    ( 40 year electronics tech )
    12000 Gallon IG Plaster built 2/15/2014. Jandy 340 sg ft 127 gpm filter, Jandy 1 HP stealth pump. Circupool RJ-45 SWG (overkill). TF-100 with Speed Stir.

3. Back To Top    #3

And just because the debris is caught in the filter does not mean it lowers chlorine demand.

Chlorine prevents algae period. Does not matter if pump is running or not.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Pump Run Time?

Might have been convincing until he started talking about algeacide and other chemicals. Who buys that stuff anyway?? Ha!
    18x36 IG Vinyl. ~29k Gallons.
    Pentair CCP420 Cartridge Filter
    Pentair Inteli-flow VS Pump
    Hayward Goldline SWG
    Tigershark QC Robot

5. Back To Top    #5

"The filter is able to catch and trap more particles that are in the water which means less chemical usage, which saves money." That's only true if you remove the debris from the filter every day. Otherwise, all you've accomplished is moving the dirt from the pool to the filter. They share the same water and the same chemicals. It's a closed system. The bleach doesn't care if the organic debris is laying on the floor, stuck in the skimmer basket, or caught in the filter. It's still there, using chlorine, until you physically remove it.

I get by with about three hours a day filtering. I don't know where this guy is buying his electricity, but it sure ain't SoCal Edison! With tiered rates, the bill could get huge in a hurry running a filter 24/7!

16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Curtsam View Post
    My PB told me that he runs his pump 24/7 and his pump has been running for 16 years now. I think I will go ahead and run mine when up 24/7 also . . . . Cons - Little bit more money monthly . . . Any drawbacks other than money spent??? . . . . "Run your swimming pool pump 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Yes, you read right; 24/7. The response I get from new clients when I tell them this is, “how much is that going to cost”? I’m going to explain how running your pump continuously will actually save you money in the long run."
    Yeah, RIGHT! Terrible advice, especially now that every government agency is encouraging consumers to conserve resources.

Our Hawaii electricity is the nation's most expensive --> http://www.utilitydive.com/news/the-...prices/298112/ Our electrical bill reminds us monthly.

We run our filter on low speed for six hours daily; high speed as required for cleaning and water features.

Works for us!
    14,400 GALLONS -- INGROUND 40'X12' GUNITE LAP POOL BUILT 1994 -- EP-4 ECOPUMP VARIABLE SPEED -- TRITON II TR60 SAND FILTER 63 GPM
    PoolMath

7. Back To Top    #7

I don't think it's at all necessary to run a pump that long or often. I do 10 hours a day. My pump does 80 gallons per minute, so I figure the whole pool 'turns over' every 3+ hours - more than enough filter time. If I ran my pump 24/7, I'd wind up doing more frequent DE changes / filter cleaning than I'd like.
    12,000 gal. Anthony IG pool; 3 ft. shallow end to 6 ft. deep end; Built 1989; Renovated July 2014 using a 10-part unexposed quartz plaster aggregate of 3 S-grade Blue, 3 S-grade Gray, 2 T-grade Blue, 2 T-grade Gray; Apollo VA-52 DE Filter; Hayward SP-2607X10 Super Pump 1-HP Single Speed; Jandy AE-Ti Heat Pump; Taylor K-2006 Test Kit

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by Curtsam View Post
    The response I get from new clients when I tell them this is, “how much is that going to cost”? I’m going to explain how running your pump continuously will actually save you money in the long run.

A lot of people try to run their pools only 10-12 hours a day. These are the swimming pools that have the most problems. By running your pool pump continuously it might cost $15-$30 per month.
    first off, this PB has no idea what the heck he is talking about. secondly...lets try and do some math. assuming a 1hp single speed pump, which is pretty standard. assuming $0.15/kwh electric rates, running a pump 24/7 will cost you $82 a month. running the pump 6 hours a day (which is more than I do, and im in Florida), would cost you $21 a month. that's a savings of $60 a month.

I would not take any pool maintenance advice from whoever wrote that article.

run your pump 1) long enough to clear the water and 2) long enough to provide proper chlorination. other than that, is in excess.

****, I just replied to a 2 year old thread....sorry
    Dan
    9,000 gallon in-ground Saltwater pool, plaster, cartridge filer, 1.0 hp pump, Hayward T-15 SWCG, TF-100
    Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart; Pool School - Test Kits Compared;

9. Back To Top    #9

I'm running about 12 hrs a day. I seriously might even cut that back. Pool looks fine

- - - Updated - - -

And yea algecide is a waste of $
    Moved so no longer pool owner, keeper of pool of family member