Pool Surface Questions - What is Wrong Here????

May 13, 2014
United States
Hi All, first just a quick thanks to everyone who takes the time to answer questions on this site. Truly appreciated from newbies like me who feel overwhelmed when it comes to this new endeavor.

My wife and I recently bought a house from an "investor" and I've run into nothing but problems-and unfortunately I think I found another. We bought it at the end of last summer and the pool surface was blue, and supposedly had been refinished within the past year. I was outside checking things out and noticed brown that seems to have surfaced through whatever was covering it. I know for sure that the brown showing through wasn't there and has apparently just gotten worse. My questions are -

1. What is the surface of this pool? If you can tell from the pics
2. It looks like the surface of the pool is wearing down and there's a "brown" that's showing through...is it a sign of something that needs to be done? :(

Thanks again for everyone's help!

photo 3.jpg
photo 2.jpg

First off, test strips are unreliable at best. I suggest you get one of the recommended test kits. The TF-100 and the speed stir option is worth every dime. Get some chlorine in the pool to keep it from turning into a swamp and drop your pH with some Muriatic Acid.

I just read the comparison thread on the kits and was looking at the K2006 but will check out the TF-100 as well.

If the test strips are that unreliable I'm not convinced my chlorine is that low. I have floaters in the pool now full with pucks and chlorine in the stack is full so I don't know how that could be possible. The these are a new type of strips and seem to be off, so I appreciate your confirmation of their worthlessness.

Well the strip says your stabilizer (c acid) is 100, such is way too high. The required FC too prevent algae is a function of the CYA. So it would not surprise me that something is growing in the water consuming ask your chlorine. Classic case of over stabilization due to continued use of Trichlor tablets.

Of course that is not related to your question. For scaling, we would need to know the CH. But if you use acidic pucks, I would think your pH never got very high.

You need a good test kit ;)

I would say the finish is plaster. Looks similar to mine, without the brown. I would find an inconspicuous area and scrub a small square with a wire brush to see if it removes the brown patches. I'm sure someone else can tell you the long term solution after the water is balanced.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.