Converting Intex Pool to Hayward Pump

vicsin

Sep 17, 2013
I know much has been written about upgrading an Intex Pool like mine, 9x18x52 Ultra Frame to a more standard Hayward pump with 1.5 fittings. In fact I've read so much my head is spinning. I was hoping someone could tell me the simplest way they've found to do it. Here's what I know so far. My Hayward pump as most do, has 1.5 inch fittings. Intex B hoses are 1.5 inch ID. Could it be as simple as getting a 1.5 inch fitting with a barb on one side and thread on the other. Then cutting off the Intex hose collars that screw on and just stuffing the barb into the hose and clamping down with a typical hose clamp. If I did this could I use pvc glue to help keep the hose on the fitting? The hose has a fairly thick end on it. Could the glue melt it? Has anyone tried this? Is there a better way or is what I'm talking about not advisable. Any help would be appreciated, but remember you're dealing with a moron.

I'm no expert but have looking to do the same thing . I have a Hayward pump also . I've been told it's a straight cut and hose clamp and all will work . I ran into Wally World today and they have a kit for this ( they don't show it online )
My only concern a pot going with either of those methods if a hose breaks mid summer gonna be hard to find parts . I suppose you could buy 2 kits .
Me I'm leaning towards buying the intex sand filter . I live in Maine and my pool will come down every year and hauling that big Hayward into heated basement is no fun . So a smaller filter would make that easier . Plus all of the parts and fittings are the same . If you do a search on here you will see how many people have converted their pumps to fit

Thx for your reply. At this point I have two holes where Intex Inlets were and I'm looking for 1.5 inch fittings that will go through the wall and attach to 1.5 inch plumbing or hoses. I'd like to take Intex out of the picture because I don't think they are compatible with anything else.

You are right. Intex fittings are not compatible with any normal pool plumbing.

This is part of what you need: http://www.amazon.com/Hayward-Fitting-Female-Thread-SP1023/dp/B001F8K95M/ref=sr_1_53?ie=UTF8&qid=1400293215&sr=8-53&keywords=pool+return+fitting

Here's the other part of the set: http://www.amazon.com/Hayward-SP1419D-Opening-Hydrostream-Directional/dp/B004VTGNGG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1400293126&sr=8-1&keywords=pool+return+fitting

The rest of your plumbing can be bought locally, with the possible exception of pool rated unions and ball valves.

I initially thought of doing it the way you stated, by just sticking the intex hose onto the barbed fitting that came with the Hayward. However, I was very worried about leaks so I hard plumbed it. I did the following for about $20.

Find electrical conduit couplings in the electrical section of Lowe's. My Home Depot did not have them but I bought the entire inventory at Lowe's. You need to shave off the 4 bumps along the outside and then sand down the lettering to make it smooth. You then sand off the ridge inside the coupling. I did all of this with a drum sander bit for my Dremel. I had to use a cordless drill since my Dremel bit the dust. You can also just use sand paper by hand.
Intex Adaptor 1.jpg

You will use the slip nut from the Intex hose for all of your PVC to Intex connections. Cut the ends of the flexible pipe and take the nuts off. The nut on the Intex inlet/outlet valves can be unscrewed to make two halves. I simply unscrewed those, put on my coupler, and I was good to go. The sanded down coupler will be used to connect to existing 1.5" PVC fittings.

Hard Plumb 1.jpg

In my above pic, there were three places where I needed the customized coupler: 1) To plug the old intake as no longer need that, 2) Where the new skimmer connects to the filter, and 3) From the 'out' on the filter back to the pool.

To plug the old intake, I used the customized coupler, a 1.5" PVC coupler to that, a small section of pipe, and then a cap.

With the skimmer I just glued the barbed fitting that came with the Hayward to the inside of the 1.5" PVC.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
My pool is the exact same size as yours..... I had to cut holes in my pool for the large intex strainers, which has made my plumbing 2 inches.... I don't mind so much as it means I'll get great water flow and since we use the metric system here, I haven't had that much of a problem obtaining parts that just screw directly in... I am waiting for my Hayward skimmer and 50 mm Hayward Ball Valves to arrived from the States, before I buy anymore plumbing or hosing.... I also have to decide on a pump but because I need a 50mm pump, it will make my choice easier... :) Good luck with your build, I'll be watching... :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.