Hello, I'm new to the pool thing and just bought a house with a pool. It's about 25-30K gallon pool with Plaster. When I first got it, it had a CYA of 200!!! The pool wouldn't hold chlorine, and previous owner used and kemtech shock packs and 3" puck tablets in a floating chlorinator. I had brown algee growth after 1 day of not using the chlorine pucks. I knew enough to read about it and drained the pool and got CYA down to about 70. I also want to stop using the pucks. Here are my current readings:
Because I just drained the pool to ge the CYA down to this level, I want to try to work with it before I do anymore. We threw in 2 gallons of liquid chlorine 12.5% to shock it and it raised the chlorine up to 5-10ppm.
I'm in Northern CA where I'm currently getting about 12 hrs of sun a day on the pool, temps are in the 70's -80's right now, and will get up to 100's in summer. My question is what should I keep my CL level. I'm going to try adding just liquid chlorine (bleach) and want to stop using the pucks. I was told by a pool professional who helped me with the CyA issue to keep it at .5-1.5 but everything I read here says to get the chlorine up to 5ppm for a pool with 70 CyA in it. The pool is crystal clear at the moment.