Deep skimmer vortex

Hi
We've moved to a house with a new pool. Used a couple of months last august. Noticed that the deep skimmer which is farther removed from the pump than the shallow skimmer will vortex, and eventually suck air. Last fall I added water (about 4 inches) to get this to stop. Had to do again in a month before closing. Opened the pool. same thing 2 days after having the pump on. Water level didnt seem to drop more than an inch.

A couple of points thoughts, in addition to what might be a pipe leak (lower water level over time)
1) deep end skimmer might simply vortex first because its maybe not level with shallow skimmer
2) the pool plumbing is 2 inch pipe, the pump 2 hp, a pool guy said the pump is big for the filter
3) the return flow pushes through eyeball jets, so possibly constricted outflow.

Im wondering if there is simply a large suction vacuum from the skimmer side to the pump (pump filter is 18 lbs pressure) and pressure build up on the outflow side? or am i making this too complicated?

thanks in advance!

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

Do you have a float diverter under the skimmer baskets? That could be used to lower the suction. Or you could just put a big rock in the skimmer basket to disrupt the vortex ... assuming the water level is adequate.

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

Do you have a float diverter under the skimmer baskets? That could be used to lower the suction. Or you could just put a big rock in the skimmer basket to disrupt the vortex ... assuming the water level is adequate.

I do not know if I have a float diverter, will check! Big rock not a bad idea. I realized last night that I have not been filling up water level to half way up the skimmer's. So will do that, and also put a marked bucket in to see how quickly my water level goes down. I remember last fall adding what seemed like 4 inches of water a couple of times, which is allot of water for a 33k gal pool. That said, I was using the heat pump, it was cooler and windy in NE.

Thanks!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.