p89898

Sep 30, 2012
Why does a given community stipulate that backwashed DE goes to a separation tank and not to their sewers? Can I just waste the backwashed DE onto my property? Isn't DE biodegradable?

That would be a great question to ask community leaders. DE or Diatomaceous Earth is already present in the ground, isn't toxic, or harmful to small animals. So I have no idea why that stipulation exists in your community. I would assume false or misinformation is what led to this being addressed from a disgruntled neighbor.

Pool filter DE is heat treated and is known to be carcinogenic if inhaled. When suspended in water it obviously can't be inhaled but that's still likely why it can't be put in the sewers. Or they are afraid it will clog things up.

DE is silica which is, for all intents and purposes, rock - which is not biodegradable.

It can clog pipes. If the community is on a septic tank, it can load it up with solids. And it's not biodegradable - it's basically petrified algae; Rock-like. It was a few million years old when they bagged it up to sell you. If it hasn't rotted by now, it won't. And it's an inhalation hazard when it's dry.

If you backwash onto your yard, it could conceivably form a noticeable white crust, or pose an inhalation hazard when it dries.

I use cellulose DE replacement, which is biodegradable, and I backwash onto my lawn.

That would be a great question to ask community leaders. DE or Diatomaceous Earth is already present in the ground, isn't toxic, or harmful to small animals. So I have no idea why that stipulation exists in your community. I would assume false or misinformation is what led to this being addressed from a disgruntled neighbor.

You are correct that normal Diatomaceous Earth is mostly safe but pool DE is heat treated which transforms it into crystalline silica which causes silicosis and cancer when inhaled in moderate quantities.

https://www.osha.gov/dsg/topics/silicacrystalline/

Yeah I dis-assembled, it really is the best way to make a clean change. My pressure was rising 10psi in just a few weeks before I opened it up and cleaned out all the old DE in there. Once I cleaned those grids and switched to purifiber, I get a very steady rise from 20 to 22 to psi over about 2 months.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
That's crazy. Just looked that stuff up. I use 7.5 LBS of DE. For my filter they say only 36 oz. switching probably requires a disassembly of filter to get all old de out though I bet.
Yes, you need to clean the filter out thoroughly. And the cellulose is really light and fluffy, so a huge bag weighs hardly anything. Volume-wise, they're probably close to the same amount to coat the screens. And I will tell you from personal experience, it filters really good, and when it hits 25% increase, you need to backwash now. Once it goes up 25%, it seems like it only takes a week to go up to 50%, and you will actually notice a decrease in flow.

DE is heat treated which transforms it into crystalline silica which causes silicosis and cancer when inhaled in moderate quantities
I'm not sure the link provided indicates "moderate" quantities.....it looked more to me like VERY high quantities. What are moderate quantities?

I'm not sure the link provided indicates "moderate" quantities.....it looked more to me like VERY high quantities. What are moderate quantities?

I don't know... lol

More than filling your DE filter a couple times a year and less than the guys cutting up concrete for a living without a mask? :)

'Moderate' was just the first word that came to mind. I haven't really researched it because we don't interact with it enough to warrant the investigation. I guess I just wanted to clarify for js8390 that pool DE is not non-toxic like food grade DE so just be careful with it. ;)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.