Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Can I leave winter cover on for pool start up?

1. Back To Top    #1

Can I leave winter cover on for pool start up?

Hi there,

My pool is surrounded by trees that will drop seeds until June. It's cold enough that we won't swim anyway til mid-June. I was thinking of filling up the pool and essentially doing the opening process without removing the winter cover. Obviously I'd have to pull it back a bit to reach everything, but I just don't want the nightmare I had last year with all the tree junk. I already took a peak at the water, and its crystal clear. Just wondered if there were any issues with leaving the winter cover on for a while.
    27K gallon, IG vinyl pool, SD80 Sand Dollar sand filter-Michigan, 1hp pump

2. Back To Top    #2
    SWSuburban Chicago, IL

Re: Can I leave winter cover on for pool start up?

I don't see any issues other than access to the returns and skimmers, but if you're willing to put up with the minor hassle... no reason you can't as far as I can tell.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner

3. Back To Top    #3
    Gurnee, IL (North Suburban Chi-town)

Re: Can I leave winter cover on for pool start up?

This is how I open my pool.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry