Cartridge Filter Pump or Sand

May 13, 2014
Athens, IL
Hello!

Newbie and we just bought a new house that came with a pool. We are under construction with the house and we haven't had a ton of time to devote to the pool, which is new to us. We have started with a green swamp, have the pump running, and have shocked the pool. It has taken care of the color, now we need to vacuum. Our pump came with the pool I believe. It's an Intex pool with a filter that takes "B" style filters. It doesn't seem able to keep up and when we use the vacuum, it seems to bog down rather quickly.

I think we need a bigger and more durable pump. Please, any advice and help is greatly appreciated!

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

Many members have really praised the upgrade to the 2650 pump and sand filter. Another short term option would be to order some better Unicel cartridges instead of the disposable Intex ones.

Since you are starting with a green pool. I highly suggest you do some reading in Pool School. To be 100% you start the season with a fresh pool, you will need one of the Recommended Test Kits and then follow the SLAM Process. Here are a few other articles to get you started:
Defeating Algae
Turning Your Green Swamp Back into a Sparkling Oasis

And since you are not "sure about all the chemicals" read these:
ABCs of Water Chemistry
Recommended Pool Chemicals
How to Chlorinate Your Pool

As Jblizzle said, that upgrade to the 2650 pump seems to be well worth it to many, many members.

That said, getting on top of the chemistry and understanding it has a LOT more to do with with your water quality than any pump.

New pump was ordered last night and is on it's way! I have been reading a lot in other places while looking for pumps, as well as this site, and everyone was on board with the sand. But, there is SO MUCH information on this site (which is awesome!) that going through it all and finding what I needed may have taken forever. So, if my question was elementary, it wasn't meant to be. I know you guys answer a lot of questions on a daily basis and I'm sure you repeat yourselves many times over. I do appreciate your advice and help on this matter.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.