New liner, builder said don't use a clorine generator!

gglmn

LifeTime Supporter
Sep 5, 2007
Just had my liner replaced and the builder recommended not using a salt system as the walls are steel and he has had to repair too many walls due to corrosion. It makes sense to me, though I have loved the low maintenance. Anyone had a problem with corrosion?

I have steel walls. New pool, new liner. Granted they are galvanized. Not much water would be getting to the walls if everything is sealed properly, at least I wouldn't think. Sounds like you already had a SWG. Did he find corrosion on your walls?

Have a SWG and I didn't see any corrosion when the old liner was removed, but don't want to reduce the life of the pool. I've used the SWG for about 5 years and I love it, the pool is always clear. I have noticed some corrosion on my pool light cover and diving board. I was concerned when my pool contractor said he does not sell them or recommend them as repairs are very expensive.

He is telling the truth as salt and steel generally don't mix well. Steel is going to rust, rot, or corrode whether or hot you have salt though. As a builder I usually try to explain the danger of salt and steel and let the homeowner decide.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.