Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New liner, builder said don't use a clorine generator!

1. Back To Top    #1

Exclamation New liner, builder said don't use a clorine generator!

Just had my liner replaced and the builder recommended not using a salt system as the walls are steel and he has had to repair too many walls due to corrosion. It makes sense to me, though I have loved the low maintenance. Anyone had a problem with corrosion?
    Jim

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New liner, builder said don't use a clorine generator!

I have steel walls. New pool, new liner. Granted they are galvanized. Not much water would be getting to the walls if everything is sealed properly, at least I wouldn't think. Sounds like you already had a SWG. Did he find corrosion on your walls?
    24'x40' 25k gal Imperial Mountain Pond IGP, full 28 mil VynAll Ocean Breakers liner. All Hayward system: 140k BTU HeatPro heat pump, 3/4HP single speed TriStar 2" Pump, DE6020 filter, AquaPlus Automation/Salt Chlorination, remote controls, ColorLogic 4.0 lighting. Polaris 280 w/PB4-60 BP. TF100 & K1766 test kits. Rinox Palazzo pavers and Spherik coping. Pool installed 9/2013, project completed 6/16/14.

3. Back To Top    #3

Have a SWG and I didn't see any corrosion when the old liner was removed, but don't want to reduce the life of the pool. I've used the SWG for about 5 years and I love it, the pool is always clear. I have noticed some corrosion on my pool light cover and diving board. I was concerned when my pool contractor said he does not sell them or recommend them as repairs are very expensive.
    Jim

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

He is telling the truth as salt and steel generally don't mix well. Steel is going to rust, rot, or corrode whether or hot you have salt though. As a builder I usually try to explain the danger of salt and steel and let the homeowner decide.
    Over 30 years in the pool business
    We build vinyl, fiberglass, stainless steel pools
    Certified in Hydraulics