Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
Hi everyone!

I drained my pool nearly a month ago and this forum was extremely helpful through everything. I have another problem. During my usual pool equipment inspection, I noticed the pump leaking and that the pump was louder than normal. I know that it hasn't been leaking for long (maybe 1-2 weeks), however the noise has been getting worse since discovering it was louder than normal this weekend. Yesterday and today, it's to the point I can hear it in the house.

The pump is leaking from the back side of the pump where the motor connects to the pump. I'm thinking it may be the shaft seal, but I am uncertain. So, I would like some help on a decision. I do not know the age of the pump, however the pool was put in ~1997. From the pump I gather its a Centurion for Pac-Fab 3450rpm at 7.8-7.4/14.5 amps for frame Y56Y. The model number and HP are worn off. I believe it's 220, it can be wired either way, I embarrassingly forgot to check that, but from what I remember of the timer it was 220.

Here are some options that I'm debating,

1. Pay the home warranty $60 in hopes they come out and replace both the pump seals and the motor since most pool services from what I've read like to do that.

2. Replace the seal(s) myself and pocket the difference, but take the chance that the motor bearings are bad and I'll need a new motor after the home warranty runs out in December.

3. Buy a new motor and seals myself because a 2 speed or VF pump would save me tons on electricty than what I have now (remember I have in floor pop-ups and no SWG).

4. Buy the same motor and seals myself because who trusts anyone else :D (I'm not really considering this). I've priced my current motor out at $160 - $260 but it depends if I'm guessing the specs right since it doesn't look mine is offered anymore, some sites its $600+.

cd572a9c-d36e-4042-92b7-9cbec7b5d4bb_zpsed42d49b.jpg

20140510_111411_zps6f41a559.jpg

20140510_111002_zps8c432068.jpg

IMG_1006_zps5dbe5c50.jpg

I would agree that it is probably the seal but that may have caused the bearings to fail too so I would go with #1 and let someone else deal with it.

Thanks for the reply mas985, I must have scared everyone away with the long post :)

#1 seemed to be the best choice as I continued to think about it, since I wasn't sure how much if any energy I'd save over going to a newer variable or 2 speed pump, nor would they pay off very quickly on my size and in-floor cleaning.

However, as luck would have it, the pump decided for me. Woke up this morning and thought it was weird I couldn't hear the pump, went outside and sure enough it was off. Flipped the timer switch and nothing. Felt the case and it was warm, so either the bearing finally seized or the motor got too hot pushing it with bad bearings. The breaker was still good since the mechanical clock was still working.

Pool Service is coming out tomorrow morning, it can't be soon enough. We've had a lot of wind here lately, and 1 day of non-circulation is tough. I put in extra CL the other night due to the winds and junk coming into my pool, so it might be ok.

I'll post an update depending on what motor I get from the pool service. For others in my position, don't wait, I noticed it getting louder this weekend, so it killed itself in less than a week and now I have to wait at least a day without a pump.

You might ask the warranty company if you can pay for the difference in the two speed. It think a few members here were successful in doing just that.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.