Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New to Pool

1. Back To Top    #1

New to Pool

My wife and I purchased our home in December and with it came a pool. We have no idea when it was last open but best guess is summer of 2012. I opened it up on May 5th and found a pool resembling a small pond minus the fish info in Sig line. I have some past experience with an above ground pool. I started with an intal basic kit test that revealed low pH and no Chlorine. I first attempted to vacuum the pool to waste and was somewhat successful until I lost site of the bottom from stirring up algae. I continued to vacuum the big stuff out dropping the water level 3 inches down from the top of the skimmer.

Fast foward to today. I have ordered a TF100 test kit waiting for it to arrive. After several trips to the Local Pool store I have the following readings. I will be able to update later today with more.

May 9th
    FC 5
    pH 7.4
    CYA 75

The pool is almost completely clear, I'm not sure if its a little cloudy in the deep end or if its my eyes. I can see the bottom and when the dolphin is running around I can see it. My current concern is the CYA reading. 75 is high, I use TriChlor tablets in a feeder. I am considering draining some water but I have an unknown age well pump and my well water is loaded with Iron, it will rust in a glass left on the counter. I do have a 3/4"hose line that runs through a water softener.

Thoughts?
    20500 gallon Grecian type 2 pool built in 1980's, Vinyl liner approx 2001
    2 Skimmers, 1 Dedicated Vac Line and 3 returns
    PureLine Prime PL2601 Pump - Hayward in line Chlorinator
    Triton TR-60 Sand filter
    Dolphin M3 robot, TF-100 with XL option & Speed Stir

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New to Pool

Welcome to TFP!!!

You made a good investment with the TF-100, that will certainly help you take control. Since you are fighting algae, you may want to consider the XL option as well and the SpeedStir is a great add-on.

You are right to be concerned about the CYA if that is correct. Ideally you would replace 1/3 of the water and stop using any trichlor tablets or dichlor powders and stick to ONLY liquid chlorine. But, if you do not want to replace that much water now, that CYA is not terribly too high, but you must stop with the tablets.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Once you get a test kit and get a proper cya reading the experts will be able to give sound advice.

My personal thoughts are to avoid refilling with the well. Metals in your water is never a good thing and difficult to eliminate. If the well is your only source, you could look at an inline metals filter but I don't have experience with their efficacy or practicality at high volumes.

Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

4. Back To Top    #4

Welcome!

75 CYA is manageable. I've managed with 3X that much CYA and no option to drain due to water restrictions. But I don't recommend it. Just plug your numbers into poolmath and maintain the recommended FC level and as long as you don't get algae, you'll survive. That being said... stop with the pucks!

If you use pool water on the lawn and replace it with softened water, you'll slowly lower CYA and avoid iron staining. Even if it's only 2"/ week, that's probably 2 or 3 % of the total pool volume. By mid-July you could be down to a reasonable CYA level.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

Welcome to TFP and purchasing the TF100! While waiting on your kit, read Pool School!
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

6. Back To Top    #6

Ok hopefully my TF100 arrives tomorrow. Went to local pool store and had water tested, but I noticed some issues in the testing process. 1st my sample dumped into a plastic container that was just emptied from the previous customers water. His test showed high chlorine. 2nd he used a syringe to put the water into the test puck, the same one from the previous test as well. From this I'm going to take these results with the knowledge that I'm going to test myself soon.

Free chlorine 7.03
    Total chlorine 8.13
    Combined chlorine 1.1 ( I think this needs to be reduced)
    Ph 7.3
    Hardness 58 (vinyl liner not worried)
    Alkalinity 104
    Cya 86

I have shut off the chlorinator and will only use it when I go on vacation in June, I also picked up Clorox, Borax, muratic acid, and baking soda today.
    I did add 2 " of water today as my backwash and vacuum to waste did suck a but down over the past few days, I also replaced a faulty pressure gauge on my filter it is holding at 8-10 psi.

I have been reading pool school the last 4 days and I am looking for any initial guidance as I start this new endeavor .

Thanks for the help so far.
    Triton TR-60 Sand filter

7. Back To Top    #7

Do not try to stock up on a bunch of stuff. The TFPC method is about understanding your pool’s chemistry and through accurate testing, adding only what the pool NEEDS.

For example, borax raises the pH and muriatic lowers it ... you will likely only need one or the other. Your TA is not too low, so you will likely never need the baking soda either.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

8. Back To Top    #8

I'll use the baking soda for many things great for cleaning especially in the garage for the car. Due to the amount of trees around the yard I'm looking at going all the way and adding borates to the pool too. Slowly of course for the wallet. Even the guy at the pool store said that was a good thing for the area. The pool calculator will be valuable tool this year.
    Triton TR-60 Sand filter

9. Back To Top    #9

I am failing to understand what trees have to do with adding borates?
    Jason, TFP Moderator

10. Back To Top    #10

If I understand what I have read the increased organic matter that will come from the trees can contribute to the food to allow algae to grow. So if the pool has borates in it that allows for cushion in the event that I am unable to get to the pool for a few days. I work in emergency services, there may be times when I am suddenly not available to get to the pool for a few days. Or a week I may not have to play catch up to defeat algae.
    When I opened the pool it was very green I have brushed and cleaned the pool almost daily since the 5th I hope to have killed and removed all the algae that could be hiding in the pool.
    This is what I started with although not the worst if I can keep this at bay and not have any repeats I'll be happy.

I do have a question about chlorine level and cya level in relation to liner life. Keeping the chlorine level up to counter the cya level will that have a negative effect on the liner and on say solar covers or does the cya reduce the effects of the chlorine on vinyl and plastics?
    Triton TR-60 Sand filter

11. Back To Top    #11

If I understand correctly the organic matter from trees can add "algae food" to the pool. If I can't get to the pool for a day or so won't having borates in the pool enhance the pools ability to resist a bloom. Additionally if the water can look and feel better why not?

I do have a question relating to the higher chlorine level and CYA. If I keep the FC up will that have a negative effect on the vinyl liner and solar cover?
    Triton TR-60 Sand filter

12. Back To Top    #12

No the higher FC will not impact the liner or cover. The CYA buffers the FC so it it's actually much less harsh than if you did not use CYA.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

13. Back To Top    #13

Yes much of the chlorine is bound to the CYA so the effects of a high FC are not what one would expect, I've seen no ill affects from maintaining a high level on any of the items you mentioned.

Enjoy your pool!
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

14. Back To Top    #14

We suggest waiting on adding borates until you become familiar with your pool and how it consumes chlorine on a daily basis. When you can predict what your pool needs because you know it so well then you usually get the green light to add borates. But we can't stop you. It's your pool.

I won't comment on those test results until you run your own.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

15. Back To Top    #15

After getting my TF100 today I ran a set of tests

K-1000
    Chlorine 5+
    pH 7.5

FAS/DPD
    FC 7
    CC 0
    TC 7
    TA 160
    CYA ~70

The only thing that seems high is the TA at 160 Is this a concern at this point, Should I add acid and Aerate or let it be for a while?
    Triton TR-60 Sand filter

16. Back To Top    #16

TA is something you play with when everything else is done and you're bored.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

17. Back To Top    #17

Another question since my CYA is high I need to keep my FC over 5 if so I will almost always get a high OTO reading on chlorine right? So since I bough the XL kit for the TF-100 is it best to just do daily FAS/DPD checks on the chlorine?
    Triton TR-60 Sand filter

18. Back To Top    #18

Quote Originally Posted by ump107 View Post
    Another question since my CYA is high I need to keep my FC over 5 if so I will almost always get a high OTO reading on chlorine right? So since I bough the XL kit for the TF-100 is it best to just do daily FAS/DPD checks on the chlorine?
    Yes. Exactly. You understand perfectly.

That's another argument to lower CYA. I maintained my pool that way for the first year, and it was such a relief when I was finally able to lower CYA and FC levels to something I could test with the OTO test.