Algae or pollen?

jerrye

May 12, 2014
Clearwater FL
Had something show up this year that has not for the last four (since I've had the house & pool) that is yellow in appearance, coats entire surface of pool, yet seems to come off with water movement when I wave my hand a couple inches above it. What I have read in certain places says it's algae; other places it's pollen.

If it were yellow algae, would it come off of the plaster surface so easily? If I vacuum without brushing, the vac head will also pick it up. Then the next day, it's back again. It does not appear to be getting worse either.

Up to now, test kit (strips) & chemicals used have been from AquaChem. This year is the first year I have had any major issues.

I do (or have) used a solar cover over the winter. When I went to pull it off this year, there was a yellow film on top of it.

Pollen was worse this year than any other, but I'm no longer seeing it on the cars & stuff.

What additional info would anyone need? BTW, I have already read the post about mustard algae, and didn't get a clear answer from it.

Pics can be provided if requested. Perhaps even video.

TIA,

Jerry

I agree that pics always help. I'm going to say that it's pollen because I have the same yellow gunk on the handles of my steps and it comes off with water movement and is across the top of my water.

You need to invest in an accurate test kit too. :goodjob: Test Kit Comparison

Welcome to TFP.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.