Opening a swamp

Aug 26, 2013
We had a little winter cover issue in late fall. We got a bad wind storm that took our winter cover off of our pool, left the leaves in the pool and made it impossible for us to get it back on. So we are opening with a swampy pool. I mean, we had tree frogs living in it. I know this, because they started evacuating the pool with me adding muratic acid to it. To the point, here are my reading with my Taylor kit:

cya= <20 (I am guessing 0)
alkalinity=220 ppm initially
pH=8.0+
CH= I forget, but within good range.
FC=0 (I haven't added any yet.)

So first on my list is to adjust alkalinity, correct? At 220 ppm, I am suppose to add 3.65 quarts of muriatic acid. I added 3 quarts yesterday (technically it was the no Mor). I added it every 2 hrs and tested the alkalinity each time. It only lowered to 200 ppm? Should we add more? I am sending my husband to buy to real stuff after work tonight.

Is it correct that I need to get my alkalinity right and then start the SLAM process? I need to add a few puck to my basket to get the cya up, correct?Thanks!

We bought a Liquidator, but we are not hooking it up until we get the pool opened up.

TA should be the last thing you even think about. And you can not lower the TA all at once with acid without making your pH WAY too low.

You need to drop the pH to the lower 7s and then start the SLAM Process. Once you add bleach for the first time, test the FC and CC within an hour and post the results.

I see you have a K-2006, you should order refills of the FAS-DPD reagents (R-0870 and R-0871) NOW, because you will run out in the middle of the SLAMing.

Some more reading:
Defeating Algae
Turning Your Green Swamp Back into a Sparkling Oasis

The pH didn't get too low. It was 7.8 after all I added. I should have listed that. Since it is 7.8, should I add more acid?

I have extra FAS-DPD reagents left over from last summer that I ordered in late August. Thanks for the tip!

Do you think it is possible to Slam tomorrow if I am able to add the chlorine in the Am, around noon, once home, and then before bed? Or should I just wait until Saturday where I can keep an eye on it every 1-2 hrs?

What about the cya? Should 2 pucks in the basket help this?

Sorry, I am a newbie. I have read through everything twice, but I still don't feel confident.

Use PoolMath enter you current pH and TA and set the the target pH to 7.2, then add that amount of acid. Verify after at least 30 minutes and then you can start the SLAM. Why not start tonight and let the chlorine work on the stuff in the pool when the sun is not breaking it down as well?

According to the bottom of PoolMath, an 8oz puck of trichlor will add 1.4ppm of CYA ... so the 2 will add about 3ppm which is hardly helpful and they dissolve slowly. BTW, you should not put them in the skimmer unless you run the pump 24/7. I would suggest you add about 20ppm of CYA (buy the stabilzer/conditioner) and put it in a sock hanging in front of your return jet. After dissolved, confirm the level in a week, but assume your CYA is around 30ppm for the SLAM process.

Results as of this morning

Last night, we added enough muriatic acid to get our pH down to 7.2 and TA to normal range, I forget the reading. Water actually seemed a bit clearer after this. I added bleach to get the FC up to 12. One hour later FC=2. :eek: Added more bleach to get it up to 12. One hour later, it was FC=5 So, it was time for bed so I added double what I needed to reach 12, hoping it would hold enough FC to get through the night.

This morning, FC=5.0. So I added enough to get it up to 12. We also added some sanitizer to get our cya up to 20 ppm. I cannot test FC since I am at work, but I had Dh dump another 1 1/2 jugs of chloring (12.5%) into the pool a hour after my initial dose, I am sure it will need it.

So, should I have him hit it again in another hour? I will be going home for lunch after a bit, so I can test FC at the time.

Re: Results as of this morning

I will show him. Yes, the water is green. Although it has turned a teal color as of this morning and foamy.

I have FC testing question. Do you count the drops until it suddenly turns clear or do you give it a second or two to stir in and stay clear? The reason I am asking is because it seems to go clear after only a few drops, but then within a second, turn a pale pink. I am finding it a bit hard to read. I don't let it sit for longer than a few second, because I know it will go pink eventually. I do a test with my old chlorine test that turns yellow and old test strip just to help judge where I am at. I have the stirrer that I keep on while I do the drops, if that makes a difference.

I will show him. Yes, the water is green. Although it has turned a teal color as of this morning and foamy.

I have FC testing question. Do you count the drops until it suddenly turns clear or do you give it a second or two to stir in and stay clear? The reason I am asking is because it seems to go clear after only a few drops, but then within a second, turn a pale pink. I am finding it a bit hard to read. I don't let it sit for longer than a few second, because I know it will go pink eventually. I do a test with my old chlorine test that turns yellow and old test strip just to help judge where I am at. I have the stirrer that I keep on while I do the drops, if that makes a difference.
Hmmm, I've never experienced that. When I do the FAS-DPD test with the speedstir going, it goes Barbie pink to pale pink to clear. Maybe a minute later it will revert to pink, but never what you describe. I don't know what to tell you.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

That would make sense. CC=10 last time I checked it. I just added more chlorine. The pool is still gobbling up the chlorine. It is looking a lot better. At lunch, I could see the debris in the middle and it was aqua blue around. At least until I brushed it. Then it turned back to teal and cloudy. Now, I need to clean the filter tonight.

If it turns pink after a few seconds its likely interference from high CCs.
I have seen you mention this a few times (due to the crazy number of ammonia pools this year).
Would it follow that they can do the FC test and stop when it turns clear then add the R-0003 (even if the water turns a little pink) and continue with the CC test?

Honestly, with inground pools, if I get 0 for cya on initial testing, I assume a good chance there is ammonia, especially when I get a history of prior routine. I believe it's more common than I originally thought. I've treated so many in 4 years. Every time I get that interference from CC. I've used the fas-dpd test for so long now I can spot when something abnormal is happening. This has only happened when I'm treating ammonia. Its now my practice to not bother testing CC once I've confirmed ammonia.

I guess I'm not sure what I could advise a noob, with regard to it but when I noticed people describe my exact experience, oh ya, CC interference. I only experience it when CC is higher than 2 or 3. Sometimes even CC results turn pinkish-brown.

- - - Updated - - -

I shud say I hold off on testing CC till I know the ammonia level has dropped.

This morning, 5/15, the pool wasn't quite as aqua colored as yesterday. Last night, before bed, I brought it up to 12 ppm FC. It rained through the night, which I think affected the FC. So this morning the FC was 1.5 (if I am reading it correctly). CC was down to 5 though, was 10. I brought the pool up to 14 this morning to cover any rain fall.

After work, we will be cleaning the cartridge,bring it back up to shock, and brush it. Then, before bed, make sure it is up there again.

Am I bringing it up to shock enough? I have gone through 20 jugs of chlorine in the last 1 1/2 days. Eeek! It seems like my pool is eating chlorine up!

Last readings:
pH=7.2
TA=150 (a little high)
cya=30
CC=5
FC=1.5 (if I read the test properly, I am having CC interference, it would mean we lost 10.5 of FC through the night )

I guess I should have looked at the forecast before starting this SLAM Process. It isn't much fun to deal with it in pouring rain.

Am I bringing it up to shock enough? I have gone through 20 jugs of chlorine in the last 1 1/2 days. Eeek! It seems like my pool is eating chlorine up!

You can do it as often as every hour.

As fpm mentioned, until the FC starts holding, you could stop testing for CC.

Is 3-4 times a day adequate? At least for the next two days. I have only tested CC twice, since my pool isn't clear and isn't holding FC. I am glad the CC is going down at least.

The fact CC is going down shows progress. I would test as offen as possible - every 30 minutes till the FC starts holding higher than 3-4 in 30 minutes. Then go to an hour... then every 2. Maybe hit it extra hard this weekend, if you have more time.

Is your water still green? I know you're fighting the ammonia, just wondering if the pool changed colors or not. Keep SLAM'ing!

Today (Friday), my readings are: FC=3 and CC= 4.5. I had shocked it up to FC=17 last night. I brought it up to FC=15 this morning, as of my test at 9:30 EST, it is holding. I also added a puck to help bring up my cya a little and add some chlorine.

My water is a cloudy teal/blue. I still have some leaves/debris in the middle. I can see it now. It is a bit hard to get it out with it being a round pool and it is in the 40's outside. So with no wet suit, we can't get in to get it out.

The pool is a far cry from what it was initially. It was a green swamp with tree frogs. Now it just looks a cloudy teal. I plan to hit it hard this weekend and hopefully get the remaining leaves out. Also, we might go forward with hooking up our Liquidator and get that running as well to help aid the FC.

Day 6 with SLAMMING

My FC is holding better, but I still have some CC. The water is a cloudy aqua.

Results of this morning:

FC=15 (I left it alone for the day, no chlorine add)
CC=2
CYA=30
pH=7.2

I hit the pool hard Saturday and Sunday. We vacuumed it a few times each day. Unfortunately, we are still getting leaves/debris out of it. I can't believe there is more in there!!!

From what I read, it should take a week for our filter to clear up the water? I will keep hitting it in the morning and night with chlorine, raising it to shock level, until I meet the 3 goals. We cleaned the filter twice now. Pressure is good. Tomorrow evening, we will hook-up the Liquidator.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.