Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: TA/CH Increaser Mix Up?

1. Back To Top    #1

TA/CH Increaser Mix Up?

Ok...Opened my pool last week and everything has gone smooth. I tested my water this past Sunday and here were my readings:

FC - 3.0 (good)
    CC - 0.0 (good)
    pH - 7.6 (good)
    TA - 100 (high)
    CYA - 30 (low)
    CH - 100 (low)

So, my plan of attack was to first bring the CH up, then adjust CYA and then lower my TA. Went to the pool store yesterday to pick up 8 lbs of stabilizer and 25 lbs of CH increaser.

I added the CH increaser yesterday afternoon and retested the CH this morning. It was at 240.

Here's the problem though. I happened to look at my receipt this morning and it says that I purchased TA increaser!! I'm hoping that the guy filled out the receipt wrong, but I have no way of knowing as I through the container out this morning and trash pickup already occurred. To pile it on, I'm out of town and can't just go out back and check the TA to see if it's through the roof. I'm freaking out that I might have made a huge, stupid **s mistake! So my questions are:

1. Is there anyway that TA increaser would have increased the CH? If not, then this would be clear indication that the stuff I put in was in fact CH increaser.
    2. If it was TA increaser, is this going to cause any damage? I will not be back in town until Friday to address it. Should I call a friend to have him go check and adjust it before then?

Thanks for any help you can provide!

-Steve
    25,000 gallon IG gunite pool with Diamondbrite finish built May, 2012
    All Pentair equipment:
    FNS Plus 48 sq. ft. DE Filter, 1 HP SuperFlo Pump, IntelliChlor IC40 SWG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/HR Heater, Prowler 820 Vacuum
    Test Kit - TF-100

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: TA/CH Increaser Mix Up?

Since the CH went up dramatically, what you added pretty much has to have been CH increaser. TA increaser would not have changed the CH level at all.

If, somehow, the TA went up, high TA levels don't directly cause problems, but they do tend to drive the PH up.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

TA increaser is just overpriced baking soda (50/ lb or so at Costco, for future reference) It will not change CH readings. So if CH went up, you added it. Nothing to get alarmed about.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for the quick replies...you took a load off my mind!
    All Pentair equipment:
    FNS Plus 48 sq. ft. DE Filter, 1 HP SuperFlo Pump, IntelliChlor IC40 SWG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/HR Heater, Prowler 820 Vacuum
    Test Kit - TF-100

5. Back To Top    #5

Who did you get the "TA" increaser from? Maybe the same pool store you had done your test at? If so, you really need to get your own Test Kit, the TF-100 or the Taylor K-2006. Either can be found @ tftestkit.net. It'll save you a bunch of money in the not too long run! Test Strips are only slightly better than pool stores in that a test strip won't tell you to buy something that you don't need!
    Pool size: 24000gal inground Vinyl-Taylor k-2006 and k-1766 test kits and-speed stir
    Intermatic P1353ME digital timer w/freeze sensor
    CircuPool Si-45 SWCG System
    Polaris 280 vacuum/Polaris PB4-60 boost pump
    Pentair IntelliFlo VS 3hp Pump--Pentair sand filter

6. Back To Top    #6

The test results I posted were conducted by myself with my TF-100 kit. Wouldn't trust the pool store as far as I could throw them.

Seems this was just a case of the employee writing the wrong thing down on the receipt.
    All Pentair equipment:
    Test Kit - TF-100

7. Back To Top    #7

A notation in your signature of your Test Kit Model would have avoided my confusion. Sorry bout that! Oh, and I'd bet you can find the stabilizer less expensively at walmart.
    Pool size: 24000gal inground Vinyl-Taylor k-2006 and k-1766 test kits and-speed stir

8. Back To Top    #8

I'll be sure to update my signature.

Stabilizer was $27.50 for 8 pounds...thought that was a decent price...not sure what Walmart carries it for though.

I'll check them next time...thanks for the info.
    All Pentair equipment:
    Test Kit - TF-100

9. Back To Top    #9

I sent my wife to pick up a 6.5 lb jug this morning, cost just over $20 including tax

10. Back To Top    #10

So roughly the same price then...$3.07/lb vs $3.43/lb
    All Pentair equipment:
    Test Kit - TF-100

11. Back To Top    #11

Yup, just about 2/3 a gallon of gas, My pool store is another 7 miles further! https://www.dropbox.com/s/uc26ek882s...2016.02.39.jpg