First time opening myself

Jun 28, 2013
St. Louis, MO
Hey all, I've only been a pool owner for less than 2 years. I found this website and forum early last summer and quickly realized how awesome the help and info here is. I bought my Taylor K-2006 and was able to keep my pool looking great. I have a 20x40 Vinyl IG pool - 36,500 gallon, sand filter (not sure what the pump is, face plate is worn out).

I just opened my pool up this past weekend myself and the water looked great except for some leaves that had blown in after my cover partially came off in in November due to some heavy winds.

I had to troubleshoot my filter pump though. When I tried starting it up I only heard an electrical hum and after a few moments the motor would shut down. It ended up that the screw that attached the impeller to the shaft had worked itself loose and wedged inside the case preventing it from rotating.

After getting the filter running I made some initial tests

FC: 2.5
CC: .4
ph: 7.7
CYA < 30 (not sure about this one, definitely less than 30)

Monday morning I did an OTO chlorine and pH test and there was no overnight chlorine loss
In the evening having let the filter run 24 hrs I tested again:

FC: 1.5
CC: 0
ph: 7.8
TA: 70~75
CH: 110
Acid demand was 1 drop.

I decided I needed to bump up the TA and lower my pH so I added 4 lbs of Baking soda and 1pt of Muriatic acid, later I also added 1 gallon of 10% chlorine

This morning my numbers were

FC: 6.5
CC: <.5
ph 7.7
TA: 80~85

but my water was down below my skimmers. I shut down the filter and am adding water. My pump / impeller casing has some leaks, but I wouldn't think it would lose so much water! Last season I had stopped a couple of pinhole leaks with crazy glue. I'll have to wait for it to dry before I can do that again. I'm hoping I don't have any other leaks.

Also, I'm thinking of using my chlorinator with some tri-chlor pucks to get my CYA up to 50ppm. I need to run the calculations for that.

Any comments, suggestions?

Thanks,
JJ

Nice job trouble shooting the pump. Several inches of water from a pool that size are not from small leaks at the pump...you would surely see evidence of that much water near the pad... Can you inspect the liner for possible leaks elsewhere? You may want to hire a leak detection company to come out.

On the tablets - You can... since you have them. It's slower than you think. Keep an eye on the PH and TA. Might be easier to just buy some CYA from Walmart and save the tablets for vacations, etc. they have a long shelf life when properly stored.

Thanks.

It had been raining all day, so I didn't notice all the water, haha :)

I just checked out my pump and sure enough there is a huge crack going around the front housing part instead of just pinholes. I wonder if that can be glued/epoxyed? A new housing cover is $85.

I think I'll buy some CYA and save my pucks as you suggested.

Thanks for your feedback!

JJ

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.