Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
FC: 5
Ph: 7.5
Ta:90
Ch:480: florida fill water
Cya:60...working on bringing this up

Brand new pool as of March, I noticed one side of the pool has a sandpaperish feel to it. But the other side is very smooth. I have brushed but it isn't doing much of anything. The water is crystal clear and about 88 degrees. With a mask I do not really see any white deposits, it almost feels like the crystals are protruding the cement? Any thoughts or recommendation?

Not sure if I set up the signature yet: 10,500 gallon gunite pool. Goldline blue essence 20k swg. CL krystal Crete blue pepper interior finish. Pentair cc rp 100 cartridge filter. Pentair whisperflo .75 up rated pump.

With somewhat high CH levels it is easy for scale to form if the PH gets too high, even if only for fairly brief periods. If your pool is colored, scale will show as white/tan patches. On a colored plaster surface, rough areas that are the same color as the rest of the pool tend to be places where the surface was not properly troweled when the plaster was applied.

I wasnt present when the did the plastering. Wife said they sprayed it down with a green/yellow liquid. But this has just shown up within the last week or so. Its on the whole wall on one side of the pool, the other side is smooth. Ph did hit 8 ish one day. I have been keeping it down with 31% muriatic acid

Green/yellow is the color of acid when sprayed on plaster.
Here's how I see it: Your water balance is fine. A pH of 8.0 is fine. I have maintained many pools for years with a pH of 8.0 - 8.2 for half of every week.
Unless you added a lot of soda ash one day, that is not likely the problem.
Unbalanced water would create scaling on both sides of the pool, not just one side.
If it is scale, it would be white and a layer of it could be easily removed by taking a butter knife and gently scraping to expose a smooth surface underneath.
If it is etched, you won't find a smooth surface underneath.

If you have determined or believe that it is etching, then I suggest you call the PB or plaster company and request that they drain the pool and polish the rough areas, but not do another acid washing.
That should be their responsibility.

First, as you know, an etched surface is rough to the touch.

It will most likely discolor quicker than would typically. It can collect calcium scale or dirt easier, and be harder to clean.

It means the surface has been aged a few years.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.