Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: new pool just opened... test results.... advice needed

1. Back To Top    #1

western new york

new pool just opened... test results.... advice needed

Last fall I had a fiberglass pool installed .. I got to swim in it twice before it was closed. I had the people who installed the pool open it on May 9th.

after they shocked it, I waited 24hrs. and tested with a taylor test kit. Cl is 5ppm; Ph 7.5; CYA 10 ( added a little stabilizer and need to wait a few more days to retest) My Ca hardness is low about 140-150 and TA is 140 as well.

I see the recommended levels for Ca (fiberglass pool) is 220-320 My question is: Any problem to gradually raise this with Cal Hypo before switching over to bleach?
    What about the TA? I see 70-90+ is recommended. how much + is ok (again I'm at 140)
    btw the water looks nice and clear

2. Back To Top    #2
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)

Re: new pool just opened... test results.... advice needed

You have grasped the TFPC method. Using Cal-hypo is fine. You want that side effect.

The TA will come down all by itself if you just maintain pH. Don't fuss with it unless you are having one of the two problems specified in the article in Pool School.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: new pool just opened... test results.... advice needed

Raising CH slowly is just fine.

On TA, as long as your PH is relatively stable, there is no reason to worry about TA. If your PH is constantly going up, you will want to lower TA.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School