I can't get a FC reading

P7k3

May 13, 2014
NJ
New member old pool owner. I had my water tested at the local pool store & they said everything looked good.
My total chlorine reading was 1.3 ppm, combined reading is 1.2 ppm, my FC was 0.1. I tried powdered shock, no reading, tried liquid chlorine, same thing.

The pool is clean, but the water is cloudy. Any suggestions are welcomed.

Thanks in advance.

Your CYA level is a bit low, but not an immediate problem. Your other levels look fine. I would start raising CYA to around 40, but that can wait a few days if that is a hassle.

With CYA around 20, you will lose a great deal of chlorine each day to sunlight, but you shouldn't lose all of it.

Given the CC reading and cloudy water it is time to SLAM the pool, instructions are in the How To section of Pool School.

New member old pool owner. I had my water tested at the local pool store & they said everything looked good.
My total chlorine reading was 1.3 ppm, combined reading is 1.2 ppm, my FC was 0.1. I tried powdered shock, no reading, tried liquid chlorine, same thing.

The pool is clean, but the water is cloudy. Any suggestions are welcomed.

Thanks in advance.
Welcome to TFP! What's the capacity of your pool- looks like it could be~10,000 depending on the average depth? Pool Math Is a good way to get the calculation if necessary --for many things!! What kind of powdered shock? If it's dichlor, pour another 4 lbs in it. That will kill 2 birds with one stone-- raise both cya by ~10ppm and chlorine by ~11. You will probably need another 20ppm cya-- walmart has a pretty good price and has 8.25% bleach which might be a cost effective way of increasing chlorine quickly. Foremost, get a good test kit to do your own tests! You should be testing your chlorine and pH daily and the other tests weekly. The recommended test kit here is the tf-100 or Taylor k-2006. You can order either from tftestkits.net and get it in just a matter of a few days. Pool store tests can be very inaccurate and inconvenient to do when you have a situation like yours. Good luck with your pool!

Hi & thanks for the welcome, The capacity is approximately 13000 gallons. I'm at work and can't remember the brand shock. It's in a blue and red package, sold at Walmart and every place else. I am using test strips.
Welcome to TFP! What's the capacity of your pool- looks like it could be~10,000 depending on the average depth? Pool Math Is a good way to get the calculation if necessary --for many things!! What kind of powdered shock? If it's dichlor, pour another 4 lbs in it. That will kill 2 birds with one stone-- raise both cya by ~10ppm and chlorine by ~11. You will probably need another 20ppm cya-- walmart has a pretty good price and has 8.25% bleach which might be a cost effective way of increasing chlorine quickly. Foremost, get a good test kit to do your own tests! You should be testing your chlorine and pH daily and the other tests weekly. The recommended test kit here is the tf-100 or Taylor k-2006. You can order either from tftestkits.net and get it in just a matter of a few days. Pool store tests can be very inaccurate and inconvenient to do when you have a situation like yours. Good luck with your pool!

Test strips are insufficient for keeping pool chemistry in good shape/balanced. I tried them for about a month but was taking water samples to a couple local pool stores who only tried to sell me a bunch of stuff I didn't need $$$$$$$. I used dichlor and trichlor for a year after inheriting my pool and went through 3 major algae blooms until I found out about bbb IT WORKS!!!!!!!!! Buy the recommended test kit! It will save you its cost in one trip to the pool store not to mention the time! I finally got my test kit and found out my cya that leslies was telling me was 40 was actually over 340!!!!! Needless to say, I haven't taken a water sample to them or the other store again!!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.