Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: I can't get a FC reading

  1. Back To Top    #1

    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    6

    I can't get a FC reading

    New member old pool owner. I had my water tested at the local pool store & they said everything looked good.
    My total chlorine reading was 1.3 ppm, combined reading is 1.2 ppm, my FC was 0.1. I tried powdered shock, no reading, tried liquid chlorine, same thing.

    The pool is clean, but the water is cloudy. Any suggestions are welcomed.

    Thanks in advance.

  2. Back To Top    #2
    JasonLion's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Silver Spring, MD
    Posts
    37,879

    Re: I can't get a FC reading

    Welcome to TFP!

    What is your CYA level? Actually, it would help to post a full set of test results.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

  3. Back To Top    #3
    Smykowski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Gurnee, IL (North Suburban Chi-town)
    Posts
    3,065

    Re: I can't get a FC reading

    Welcome to the forum!! Our way and the pool store way are completely different. We can help you, but we need you to help you first. Start reading Pool School, and start with the link in my signature.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

  4. Back To Top    #4

    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    6

    Re: I can't get a FC reading

    Sorry for the lack of info posted.
    PH 7.5
    Alkalinity 119
    Calcium Hardness 192
    Cyanuric Acid 18
    Pool is 12 x27 unground with vinyl liner, Hayward sand filter.

  5. Back To Top    #5
    JasonLion's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Silver Spring, MD
    Posts
    37,879

    Re: I can't get a FC reading

    Your CYA level is a bit low, but not an immediate problem. Your other levels look fine. I would start raising CYA to around 40, but that can wait a few days if that is a hassle.

    With CYA around 20, you will lose a great deal of chlorine each day to sunlight, but you shouldn't lose all of it.

    Given the CC reading and cloudy water it is time to SLAM the pool, instructions are in the How To section of Pool School.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

  6. Back To Top    #6

    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    6

    Re: I can't get a FC reading

    Thanks for the input, I'll read up on the SLAM method.

  7. Back To Top    #7

    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Chapin, SC
    Posts
    1,141

    Re: I can't get a FC reading

    Quote Originally Posted by P7k3 View Post
    New member old pool owner. I had my water tested at the local pool store & they said everything looked good.
    My total chlorine reading was 1.3 ppm, combined reading is 1.2 ppm, my FC was 0.1. I tried powdered shock, no reading, tried liquid chlorine, same thing.

    The pool is clean, but the water is cloudy. Any suggestions are welcomed.

    Thanks in advance.
    Welcome to TFP! What's the capacity of your pool- looks like it could be~10,000 depending on the average depth? Pool Math Is a good way to get the calculation if necessary --for many things!! What kind of powdered shock? If it's dichlor, pour another 4 lbs in it. That will kill 2 birds with one stone-- raise both cya by ~10ppm and chlorine by ~11. You will probably need another 20ppm cya-- walmart has a pretty good price and has 8.25% bleach which might be a cost effective way of increasing chlorine quickly. Foremost, get a good test kit to do your own tests! You should be testing your chlorine and pH daily and the other tests weekly. The recommended test kit here is the tf-100 or Taylor k-2006. You can order either from tftestkits.net and get it in just a matter of a few days. Pool store tests can be very inaccurate and inconvenient to do when you have a situation like yours. Good luck with your pool!
    Pool size: 24000gal inground Vinyl-Taylor k-2006 and k-1766 test kits and-speed stir
    Intermatic P1353ME digital timer w/freeze sensor
    CircuPool Si-45 SWCG System
    Polaris 280 vacuum/Polaris PB4-60 boost pump
    Pentair IntelliFlo VS 3hp Pump--Pentair sand filter

  8. Back To Top    #8

    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    6

    Re: I can't get a FC reading

    Hi & thanks for the welcome, The capacity is approximately 13000 gallons. I'm at work and can't remember the brand shock. It's in a blue and red package, sold at Walmart and every place else. I am using test strips.
    Quote Originally Posted by timerguy View Post
    Welcome to TFP! What's the capacity of your pool- looks like it could be~10,000 depending on the average depth? Pool Math Is a good way to get the calculation if necessary --for many things!! What kind of powdered shock? If it's dichlor, pour another 4 lbs in it. That will kill 2 birds with one stone-- raise both cya by ~10ppm and chlorine by ~11. You will probably need another 20ppm cya-- walmart has a pretty good price and has 8.25% bleach which might be a cost effective way of increasing chlorine quickly. Foremost, get a good test kit to do your own tests! You should be testing your chlorine and pH daily and the other tests weekly. The recommended test kit here is the tf-100 or Taylor k-2006. You can order either from tftestkits.net and get it in just a matter of a few days. Pool store tests can be very inaccurate and inconvenient to do when you have a situation like yours. Good luck with your pool!

  9. Back To Top    #9

    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Chapin, SC
    Posts
    1,141

    Re: I can't get a FC reading

    Test strips are insufficient for keeping pool chemistry in good shape/balanced. I tried them for about a month but was taking water samples to a couple local pool stores who only tried to sell me a bunch of stuff I didn't need $$$$$$$. I used dichlor and trichlor for a year after inheriting my pool and went through 3 major algae blooms until I found out about bbb IT WORKS!!!!!!!!! Buy the recommended test kit! It will save you its cost in one trip to the pool store not to mention the time! I finally got my test kit and found out my cya that leslies was telling me was 40 was actually over 340!!!!! Needless to say, I haven't taken a water sample to them or the other store again!!!
    Pool size: 24000gal inground Vinyl-Taylor k-2006 and k-1766 test kits and-speed stir
    Intermatic P1353ME digital timer w/freeze sensor
    CircuPool Si-45 SWCG System
    Polaris 280 vacuum/Polaris PB4-60 boost pump
    Pentair IntelliFlo VS 3hp Pump--Pentair sand filter

  10. Back To Top    #10

    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Chapin, SC
    Posts
    1,141

    Re: I can't get a FC reading

    Read this thread if you need more convincing: http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...sting-yourself
    Pool size: 24000gal inground Vinyl-Taylor k-2006 and k-1766 test kits and-speed stir
    Intermatic P1353ME digital timer w/freeze sensor
    CircuPool Si-45 SWCG System
    Polaris 280 vacuum/Polaris PB4-60 boost pump
    Pentair IntelliFlo VS 3hp Pump--Pentair sand filter

  11. Back To Top    #11

    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    6

    Re: I can't get a FC reading

    Wow, I didn't know the strips were useless, I will invest in a test kit. I had one years ago and the strips seemed so much easier to use.Live & learn.
    Quote Originally Posted by timerguy View Post
    Read this thread if you need more convincing: http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...sting-yourself

  12. Back To Top    #12

    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Chapin, SC
    Posts
    1,141

    Re: I can't get a FC reading

    You might consider getting the sped stir while you're at it unless you're quadradexterous. I couldn't do without mine!
    Pool size: 24000gal inground Vinyl-Taylor k-2006 and k-1766 test kits and-speed stir
    Intermatic P1353ME digital timer w/freeze sensor
    CircuPool Si-45 SWCG System
    Polaris 280 vacuum/Polaris PB4-60 boost pump
    Pentair IntelliFlo VS 3hp Pump--Pentair sand filter

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •