Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New to pool

1. Back To Top    #1

New to pool

I bought a new house and with it a pool. I'm new to a pool, though I am used to maintaining my hot tub. The pool was closed when we bought it and didn't have a cover. With 2 mature trees next to it and a huge (80 ft) tree that dumps about 60% of its leaves and now spring debris into the pool, I'll be buying a cover this fall. In the mean time I have removed all the debris I can, filled it, and ran the pump can cleaned out the pump basket until it remained clean between checks (about 20 mins run time). I scrubbed the pool down with a brush and now have split pea soup. I haven't added anything yet but did test it (TF-100) and unsurprisingly found zero CYA, which leads me to my question. Do I need to raise this completely before I even bother adding bleach or can I start adding both at the same time? Also my PH is 8.2 (TA 150), should I adjust this after I get clear or before I start?
    20,000, Inground, Vinyl, Hayward 24in sand filter, Hayward super pump, Hayward heater 250,000

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New to pool

First things first lower the pH to 7.2 with muratic acid and add enough stabilizer to get you to around 30 ppm and go read pool school the article on slamming your pool.......ABC of water chemistry........Mike

- - - Updated - - -

Once you complete the above post.....SLAM AWAY.....and remember we love pics......lol
    18x52 intex ultra frame pool 6981 gallons, 1 HP LL pump with 19 in sand filter,BBB method,borax 50ppm
    leslies DPD test kit + fas-dpd chlorine test kit + borates test strips
    thru wall skimmer,hard plumbed with 2 returns 1 1/2 sch 40 pvc
    1 large fountain 1 inch sch 40 pvc,shut off ball valves on all

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to the forum. Get it adjusted before you start, otherwise you will have both the sun and algae eating up your chlorine. Just put your CYA in a sock in front the a return with the pump running. Read the SLAM procedure in pool school and you will have a sparkling pool in no time. In fact, read and reread all of pool school. Lots of good information.

Oops. Forgot to mention lowing PH to 7.2 with Muriatic acid.
    12000 Gallon IG Plaster built 2/15/2014. Jandy 340 sg ft 127 gpm filter, Jandy 1 HP stealth pump. Circupool RJ-45 SWG (overkill). TF-100 with Speed Stir.

4. Back To Top    #4

Any idea how long the pool sat before you purchased?
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

5. Back To Top    #5

I'll start with the adjustments first then, Thanks! I'll keep reading, just wanted to get a jump on it while my mind absorbs all the wonderful info this forum as to offer. As to how long, when i looked at it in Aug 2013, it was green do to an electrical issue to pump. Electrician came out and fixed the short. He was in the process of cleaning up, saw the pump/filter running in an attempt to clean it, but after we signed I'm sure he just winterized it and called it good. He seamed to do a good job with the closing, Given the immaculate yard and retired gentlemen I'm sure it was clean prior to the electrical short. Just too bad it had no cover at all to keep out debris!
    20,000, Inground, Vinyl, Hayward 24in sand filter, Hayward super pump, Hayward heater 250,000

6. Back To Top    #6

You got good advice to fix pH first, add CYA to 30ppm and then SLAM. Keep raking the bottom to see if there is anything else down there and brushing the pool. You're going to do well with the TF100! Congrats on taking control of your pool right off the bat! And...

I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

7. Back To Top    #7

https://www.dropbox.com/s/a5393p5h0q...2011.52.43.jpg Should be a good example of how to add CYA. Each sock holds approx 2 lb.s I put a little more in the far sock and had to go swimming to get the brick off the bottom just squeeze it now and then to help it dissolve quickly. Been two hrs now and both are almost completely dissolved.
    Pool size: 24000gal inground Vinyl-Taylor k-2006 and k-1766 test kits and-speed stir
    Intermatic P1353ME digital timer w/freeze sensor
    CircuPool Si-45 SWCG System
    Polaris 280 vacuum/Polaris PB4-60 boost pump
    Pentair IntelliFlo VS 3hp Pump--Pentair sand filter

8. Back To Top    #8

Just a quick update. Sorry no pics yet, should have taken one to start. I got the pH down to 7.5 with some dry acid that came with the house. Upped the cya to 30, TA has been 150, FC is 12. The CH I'm having a hard time with, it turns purple not red and no after 30 drops its still just purple not blue. I'm not that worried about it yet but am curious if that is just a zero reading and I need to enter that into poolmath? If so wow! because it would want me to add 48 lbs of calcium chloride.

9. Back To Top    #9

Check out the extended test kit directions for CH here:

http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...l=1#post203523
    15'x30' IG - Roman-style - 14K - Pebble Fina Classico
    Filter: Jandy CL460 Pump: Jandy Stealth SHPF1.5 SWG: Jandy AquaPure 1400 Cleaner: Jandy RayVac Test Kit: TF-100 w/SpeedStir

Chlorine/CYA Chart----Extended Test Kit Directions----SLAM