filter pressure maxing out

lds

May 12, 2014
Dunkirk, MD
Hi. Just opened the pool and it is a green mess. I checked my CYA and I am assuming it is 0 because the test kit only went to 20 and I could still see the dot clearly. I put CYA (4 pounds) in two socks and put them in the skimmer baskets. I started adding bleach based on the lowest CYA on the chart so it was a shock FC of 10. I also added trichlor to try to bring the CYA up because the 4 pounds was not enough. Within this time my pressure has maxed out 3 times. The first time I took the DE filter out and hosed it off and replaced then started it up and added 6 scoops DE. After about 2 hours or less it maxed again. This time I backwashed and did not replace the DE. It maxed out again within 30 minutes. By this time it was late night so I turned off the filter in order not to cause damage overnight. There is no blockage in the pressure gauge. By the way it is still a green.

Welcome to TFP!

That is common with a DE filter and algae. DE filters are very efficient and catch a lot of algae very quickly, causing the filter pressure to go up rapidly until the algae is completely taken care of.

If you have a multi-position main valve you should put it in circulate position, instead of filter, so you can leave the pump running, but not need to deal with the filter clogging up when you aren't there. You still have to run the filter at some point, but obviously that requires your attention, so this allows the pump to be run even when you can't be there.

From what you said, it sounds like you have everything else under control. It will take a little while to clean everything up, but you are on the right track.

It is not a multi-position valve. Just filter and backwash. Do I have to take apart the filter every time it maxes out on pressure because backwashing only gives about 30minutes till it maxes again. Or do I just backwash every 30 minutes?
Thanks.

You shouldn't run it without adding DE after backwashing. This clogs the grids/fingers, which will cause it to clog up even faster once your DE is added back. What kind of equipment do you have? is it the grid type or the flex fingers?

If you have access to a submersible pump - you can circulate the water with that while your killing the algae via SLAM, and then start filtering/backwashing when you can monitor the pressure more, like over the weekend or something.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.