Pumps and drains flows

Hi expert,
I've my pool for about 5 years now and now I just start learning my way around my pool. I just finished my chemistry course now I'm heading to the pool parts. My jacuzzi is flows to my pool so the water are being flow in/out from the pool. I have a few questions
1. What is the vac alert that goes to the jacuzzi? It seem to always at 0. There's also a red knob, out sure what it's for. I am suspecting it might be the pump for the jacuzzi.

2. If I open the water release (backwash), is that means the water does not go into the filter?

3. Since I'm not using the side vacuum, I only turn the vacuum for the drainage, is that normal?
Thanks.

6ymede7u.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 7 2013 using Tapatalk

The vac alert prevents people from getting trapped against the drain by the pump suction. If it detects unusual suction levels, it will let air into the system, breaking the suction and allowing who/whatever is trapped at the drain to get away.

I don't think you mean backwashing. Backwashing runs water backwards through the filter, to wash any dirt trapped by the filter out to waste, instead of back into the pool. This is not done with a cartridge filter, only with sand and DE filters. So I am guessing you are using the wrong word here.

Pools with cartridge filters sometimes have a valve that allows you to divert water to waste. Usually this is before the filter, though I can't tell for sure from your photo. This is handy for draining excess water from the pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.