Bullnose Pavers around pool over fiberglass steps

ssgumby

LifeTime Supporter
Feb 17, 2012
Maryland
So we are putting the bullnose pavers around the pool. We have concrete poured and have used thinset to set the pavers in. The thinset though does not adhere to the fiberglass steps.

Most of the steps have enough of the paver on concrete that there is enough to hold it. Our issue is right at the front corner of the step, there just isnt enough concrete to get any adhesion.

What are the options? Would a good construction adhesive hold?

Construction adhesive is probably one reasonable choice, though I am having trouble imagining exactly what is going on. A picture would help explain the situation a great deal.

Ill try to get a pic up this evening.

- - - Updated - - -

Did you screw mesh down to steps? Also put screws standing up some in the plastic.

Not sure why, but this terrifies me :)

I've read online people doing this, but screwing into my fiberglass steps freaks me a little.

We are in the process of having ours done now. Our steps aren't fiberglass, but plastic, but the whatever mortar was used stuck just fine to the steps. They actually had a slightly thicker base on the steps too, because the liner channel had about a 1/4" rise vs the stairs. We used 11" wide coping stones (pavers). I can get you picks if you want, but you'll find a bunch in my construction thread here:

http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/68256-New-24x40-mountain-pond-IG-install-in-NH

We are in the process of having ours done now. Our steps aren't fiberglass, but plastic, but the whatever mortar was used stuck just fine to the steps. They actually had a slightly thicker base on the steps too, because the liner channel had about a 1/4" rise vs the stairs. We used 11" wide coping stones (pavers). I can get you picks if you want, but you'll find a bunch in my construction thread here:

http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/68256-New-24x40-mountain-pond-IG-install-in-NH

I believe your steps are fiberglass.

Did you see them mortar your steps? I wonder if they laid mesh, or roughed it up? Your pool looks great, I love contruction threads and no clue how I missed yours!

I believe your steps are fiberglass.

Did you see them mortar your steps? I wonder if they laid mesh, or roughed it up? Your pool looks great, I love contruction threads and no clue how I missed yours!

In looking at your construction thread, it appears that the pavers on the step are significantly on concrete too which is allowing them to stick well. On my pool, its a rectangle so the steps to wall (where hole is cut in the paver) is a sharp turn and to get it right we had to put a small corner piece on which is 100% on the steps. I will post a pic tonight to better outline the issue.

Pics would be great yes. But as you can see in my pics they poured a very large footing/bed around the stairs, and you are correct, I'd say about 75% of the paver is sitting on concrete. I mentioned I do have a gap to fill since these pavers aren't sitting on the liner channel "sill", but that will get caulked. They just bedded the pavers in thicker mortar to make up the difference in height (hence the larger gap at the stairs than the rest of the pool). But I do recall that they did scuff up the top of the stair edge a bit too, to answer your question. No mesh though.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.