Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Bullnose Pavers around pool over fiberglass steps

1. Back To Top    #1

Bullnose Pavers around pool over fiberglass steps

So we are putting the bullnose pavers around the pool. We have concrete poured and have used thinset to set the pavers in. The thinset though does not adhere to the fiberglass steps.

Most of the steps have enough of the paver on concrete that there is enough to hold it. Our issue is right at the front corner of the step, there just isnt enough concrete to get any adhesion.

What are the options? Would a good construction adhesive hold?
    DIY 18x36 IG Vinyl Rectangle with 2 foot radius; Steel Walls. 8' steps w/t 2 step jets; 2 MD, 1 Skimmer, 2 returns; Hayward Pro Series 24 Inch 300# Sand Pool ; Hayward color logic 4.0 LED light; 2" PVC pipe 4 Jandy Valves, Hayward PL-P-4, SWCG

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Bullnose Pavers around pool over fiberglass steps

Construction adhesive is probably one reasonable choice, though I am having trouble imagining exactly what is going on. A picture would help explain the situation a great deal.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Did you screw mesh down to steps? Also put screws standing up some in the plastic.
    20x45x32x18 L Shaped vinyl Pool
    Pentair Superflo 1.5 vs pump
    Pentair t100 filter
    I 60 cell

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion View Post
    Construction adhesive is probably one reasonable choice, though I am having trouble imagining exactly what is going on. A picture would help explain the situation a great deal.
    Ill try to get a pic up this evening.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ga mike View Post
    Did you screw mesh down to steps? Also put screws standing up some in the plastic.
    Not sure why, but this terrifies me

I've read online people doing this, but screwing into my fiberglass steps freaks me a little.
    DIY 18x36 IG Vinyl Rectangle with 2 foot radius; Steel Walls. 8' steps w/t 2 step jets; 2 MD, 1 Skimmer, 2 returns; Hayward Pro Series 24 Inch 300# Sand Pool ; Hayward color logic 4.0 LED light; 2" PVC pipe 4 Jandy Valves, Hayward PL-P-4, SWCG

5. Back To Top    #5

We are in the process of having ours done now. Our steps aren't fiberglass, but plastic, but the whatever mortar was used stuck just fine to the steps. They actually had a slightly thicker base on the steps too, because the liner channel had about a 1/4" rise vs the stairs. We used 11" wide coping stones (pavers). I can get you picks if you want, but you'll find a bunch in my construction thread here:

http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...-install-in-NH
    24'x40' 25k gal Imperial Mountain Pond IGP, full 28 mil VynAll Ocean Breakers liner. All Hayward system: 140k BTU HeatPro heat pump, 3/4HP single speed TriStar 2" Pump, DE6020 filter, AquaPlus Automation/Salt Chlorination, remote controls, ColorLogic 4.0 lighting. Polaris 280 w/PB4-60 BP. TF100 & K1766 test kits. Rinox Palazzo pavers and Spherik coping. Pool installed 9/2013, project completed 6/16/14.

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by steveg_nh View Post
    We are in the process of having ours done now. Our steps aren't fiberglass, but plastic, but the whatever mortar was used stuck just fine to the steps. They actually had a slightly thicker base on the steps too, because the liner channel had about a 1/4" rise vs the stairs. We used 11" wide coping stones (pavers). I can get you picks if you want, but you'll find a bunch in my construction thread here:

http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...-install-in-NH
    I believe your steps are fiberglass.

Did you see them mortar your steps? I wonder if they laid mesh, or roughed it up? Your pool looks great, I love contruction threads and no clue how I missed yours!

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by ssgumby View Post
    I believe your steps are fiberglass.

Did you see them mortar your steps? I wonder if they laid mesh, or roughed it up? Your pool looks great, I love contruction threads and no clue how I missed yours!
    In looking at your construction thread, it appears that the pavers on the step are significantly on concrete too which is allowing them to stick well. On my pool, its a rectangle so the steps to wall (where hole is cut in the paver) is a sharp turn and to get it right we had to put a small corner piece on which is 100% on the steps. I will post a pic tonight to better outline the issue.

8. Back To Top    #8

Pics would be great yes. But as you can see in my pics they poured a very large footing/bed around the stairs, and you are correct, I'd say about 75% of the paver is sitting on concrete. I mentioned I do have a gap to fill since these pavers aren't sitting on the liner channel "sill", but that will get caulked. They just bedded the pavers in thicker mortar to make up the difference in height (hence the larger gap at the stairs than the rest of the pool). But I do recall that they did scuff up the top of the stair edge a bit too, to answer your question. No mesh though.
    24'x40' 25k gal Imperial Mountain Pond IGP, full 28 mil VynAll Ocean Breakers liner. All Hayward system: 140k BTU HeatPro heat pump, 3/4HP single speed TriStar 2" Pump, DE6020 filter, AquaPlus Automation/Salt Chlorination, remote controls, ColorLogic 4.0 lighting. Polaris 280 w/PB4-60 BP. TF100 & K1766 test kits. Rinox Palazzo pavers and Spherik coping. Pool installed 9/2013, project completed 6/16/14.