Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool capacity

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool capacity

I'm not sure if this is the correct place to post this, but the math savvy probably hang around in here.

I'm over shooting a bit on my calculations and I think the pool size is wrong. Original owners say 36k. I figured 32500 or so.

I came across a diagram so I wonder if someone smarter than me could take a stab at it. Thanks!

20 x 40 28k gallon Salt Water Vinyl IGP, Hayward pump and Sand filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool capacity

Ack.. There is a little difference... at the deep end they added a curve... A Roman something or other. It goes about another 4 ft. My guess is it was added as an option to this base style.

3. Back To Top    #3

I get something around 27,000 gallons, though I am not completely sure how to adjust for the "deep end they added a curve".
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

I think the deep end of the pool (short edge), they mean there is a circle arc making the deep end longer.

Like this:
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

5. Back To Top    #5

I did some very quick math (40 in * 40 feet * 20 feet * 1.33 in gallons) and got 26.5 K gallons. I just treated it as a box ignoring the deep end, then added 33% more on for that. No way is it 36K.
    20,000 gal in-ground plaster pool with sand filter. Replastered recently. Mostly adding bleach and acid. CYA was high when I took over.

6. Back To Top    #6

It is 8 ft deep in the deep end but the strange thing is I measured 8.5 feet from water surface to bottom. Maybe with the Roman end they added a diving board and more depth. But yes the curve looks like the one posted.

Thanks for your attempts!

7. Back To Top    #7

Perhaps i can test with chlorine? Add 128 oz of 12.5 and measure the change? What's the earliest i can test after adding to get an accurate result

8. Back To Top    #8

You can test after 30 minutes or so, but chlorine may not be a good indicator.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

9. Back To Top    #9

The most reliable approach is to track the expected vs actual change in levels across a number of different chemical additions, and continue adjusting your proposed volume to minimize the overall error across all of them. There is too much potential testing error in a single addition to get very good results.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

10. Back To Top    #10

I came up with 33,000

shallow end= 800
    two slopes=2016
    deep end= 1600
    this adds up to 4416
    times 7.48 and we get 33,031

You would need a curve half the size of the shallow end to make it 36k.
    20,000, Inground, Vinyl, Hayward 24in sand filter, Hayward super pump, Hayward heater 250,000

11. Back To Top    #11

Makes sense. So for now I should start by reducing my volume from 32 to 28 k for the calculator... given the initial results here?

12. Back To Top    #12

Good plan. Then track how your actual results differ from your calculated results from there.

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by dagoat1967 View Post
    I came up with 33,000

shallow end= 800
    two slopes=2016
    deep end= 1600
    this adds up to 4416
    times 7.48 and we get 33,031

You would need a curve half the size of the shallow end to make it 36k.
    Must have crossed posts because I missed yours when I replied last. The curve doesn't seem to be half the size, but I'll take a pic and see what you think.

14. Back To Top    #14

Here is a pic.

15. Back To Top    #15

30,000 gal, 20 x 40 ft vinyl, IG, installed 2006
    1 HP WhisperFlo pump, 60 sqft Pentair Quad D.E., Liquidator(8 gallon) with 3/8 upgrade,TigerShark cleaning robot
    TFTestkits TF-100 with SpeedStir,WS
    A proud practitioner of TFP since 2013

16. Back To Top    #16

Thanks, that is useful.