Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Water coming out of this pipe when pump isn't running

1. Back To Top    #1

Water coming out of this pipe when pump isn't running

http://imgur.com/OS2guVD
    The small pipe is constantly running water when the pump is off. Pump running, no problem. I have no idea what this pipe is for. Any help?
    20000 gal inground vinyl liner, HTH 6 Way test with Taylor FAS-DPD for CL, Dolphin DX4 Cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Water coming out of this pipe when pump isn't running

Is the end of that pipe above or below water level?
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

3. Back To Top    #3

Below

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

How long ago was the pump/filter installed and has it been doing it ever since it was installed or is this something recent ??
    '70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE
    Solar Blanket, Well Water, Borax Added, TF-100 tester. ? too cold
    1979, 275gal Conway Emerald Spa P-100-2, ES-2 Spa Pack, bromine floater, indoor
    TF-100, Best test kit - TFTestkits.net
    Please help keep the lights on, become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

Pump is less than a year old. Filter, no idea. Bought the house a year ago, previous owner didn't use the pool for Idk how long. It wasn't doing this last year. I've only been noticing water standing around the pipe for about a week now. Also, I've been running the pump 24/7 for a cpl weeks. I only started letting it shutoff a few days ago.

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

Looking at the filter, is it just sitting on the ground or is there something solid under it ??

- - - Updated - - -

Did you have the pool shut down for winter ?? What area are you in ??
    Is anything different as far as water height, different valve position, something from last year ??

- - - Updated - - -

Is there any place on the plumbing you can see that has a connection with that size pipe ?? Any more pictures of the plumbing and of the pool you can post ??
    '70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE

7. Back To Top    #7

Filter sits on concrete.
    Nothing changed since last year, but the water level has been high since a big rain last week. I just drained some of it.
    I have a 2nd faucet by the house that was connected to my main faucet at one time, via a 1ft hose. I don't know where it goes, unless it's the other end of that cut off pipe where the water is coming from.

8. Back To Top    #8

TFP Guide

Ok then . . . I would take a shop vac and duct tape the hose to the pipe and blow through it to see if you can find the other end just so you know but then you'd likely want to cap it so you don't lose water.

- - - Updated - - -

If you do I'd try it with the system "as is" then I'd open up the pump strainer cover and see if you feel/hear anything there and also try any valves as they might help you understand where that pipe connects to the plumbing.

9. Back To Top    #9

When you turn on the pump, do you see the water level in the pipe drop?
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by mas985 View Post
    When you turn on the pump, do you see the water level in the pipe drop?
    Yes, it does drop a little.

11. Back To Top    #11

TFP Guide

Any idea if there was a heater in the system ??

12. Back To Top    #12

Highly doubt it. My neighbor said something about it maybe being connected to one of the Jets in the pool that doesn't work. He said something about it being some kind of old vacuum system. Is that possible?

13. Back To Top    #13

Two possibilities. It could be a pressure side cleaner but there should be a corresponding port in the pool somewhere. Plus, when the pump turns on, it shouldn't really affect the water level in the pipe.

However, because the water level did change, it could also be a vacuum release for the main drain. In the days before SVRS systems, plumbers would sometimes plumb in a vent pipe that went to the bottom of the pool and connected to the main drain so if the main drain were to get blocked the pump would start sucking air and release the vacuum. But normally, you would see the water level drop in the pipe by a couple of feet. Do you have a main drain and is it fully on (via a pad valve)? It looks like the small pipe is right by one of the suction pipes so this could be a possibility. If it is leaking because the water level is high, then I would just add a section of pipe with a coupler to make it higher.
    Mark

14. Back To Top    #14

Main drain is completely on. The water level in the pipe does drop considerably more than I had thought when the pump is on

15. Back To Top    #15

Then it is probably a vent for a vacuum release. Extending the pipe up should fix the problem.

However, it might have been used as an overflow so the water level would not rise beyond the end of the pipe.
    Mark

16. Back To Top    #16

TFP Guide

Would it be a good idea to use a little stainless steel or plastic screening to keep critters out just in case ??