Pool CYA/SLAMing order of adjustment

Hello pool-goers,

I am doing my 1st opening and think I have a situation I've read about on the boards. When I closed the pool last fall, I had a CYA of 60. I started the opening process about 3 days ago (of mostly cleaning and filtering only) and today I read my CYA at 0 (or at least less than 20 which is the maximum of the test kit sight glass). Also, my pH is high, above 8.0. I'm guessing that the algae over the winter consumed my CYA and converted it into ammonia, which would explain the low CYA and high pH readings.

I have added 2 10ppm additions of 12.5% bleach to my pool over the past hour. I didn't bother doing a FC test yet, because I can't even see the bottom of my pool so I'm assuming the ammonia and/or algae are consuming all of it at these early shocks.

Should I be trying to lower the pH right now? Should I also be adding CYA right now? I don't know if that would be worth the effort until I break down the ammonia (I don't have an ammonia test strip, so I'm just assuming it's there). Or should I just continue to shock with chlorine every 30 min-1hr?

p.s. - did not adjust chemistry over winter, and did not cover the pool (this pain of cleaning has convinced me of the need to upgrade that before next season).

Thanks,

You can lower PH now if FC is 2. That is a very high CC. The FC and CC are correct right ? Not the other way around CC 2 FC 10.5.
If they are correct you most certainly have ammonia. You'll go thru a lot of bleach to get rid of it. ?

When you did your FC test you added drops till it went completely clear. You then should have went right to the CC test then. If you let the sample set a bit it will go back to a slight pink.
I'm not sure about the ammonia effecting the CYA.

You need a little CYA to protect the FC from sunlight. Add enough to reach 20 ppm. Add chlorine up to 10ppm of 12.5 every 20 to 30 minutes and test your FC, if you don't hit 10, recalculate and keep adding it every 20-30 minutes. Test the FC. Early on the ammonia consumes it instantly, which is why hitting it hard up front is key, you'll actually use less chlorine in the long run. Put the CYA in a sock or a nylon and it can dissolve while your hitting the ammonia. Don't bother testing the CC (save your reagent) until you can actually hold a FC of 10 for more than an hour. Once you test the CC at that point you'll find it's down to the 1-2 range which indicates the ammonia is being eradicated. I've cleared probably 15-20 ammonia pools - hitting it hard for the first 4 hours does work. Expect to use 3-5 cases.

- - - Updated - - -

Don't wait an hour. 30 min at most. The addition of CYA won't create more ammonia as long as you are constantly attacking with chlorine.

Alright, trying to follow those instructions, although if it goes too late, I'm going to bed...hope I don't have to start over :)

I didn't have a sock handy so I just broadcast the 20ppm of CYA, hope that doesn't matter.

I've added 5 gal of 12.5 chlorine so far, last FC measurement was only 1ppm

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
In your case with the bump type, bump it when the pressure rises 25% over clean pressure. If it rises back up 25% over clean pressure pretty quickly then I would backwash. If you have any algae I wouldn't bother bumping it when the pressure rose 25%, I would just backwash and recoat at that point.
You add DE every time you backwash. It's not good to use filter with no DE on the flex tubes. Only add 80% of a full charge to it after a backwash. If you so a complete tear down and clean then add full amount of DE.

Quick question I'm dealing with asme issue on day 3 now. Should I clean the de filter fingers in muriatic acid after I get it cleaned out ? I have already hosed out the filter 3 times. Might have to do it again soon. Also how do most of you guys catch the de ? I've been trying to use a bucket... But wondering what to do with my growing collection of de.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

okay, FC is starting to rise. I was worried I'd have to start over this evening after 18 hrs of no shocking, but I guess that wasn't the case.

pH is now 7.2
TA is ~130-170
started shocking and assuming FC=0 start this afternoon, after 1st shock FC +30min was 4.5ppm, +30min from 2nd shock was 6.5ppm
+
Water is still very murky but less green (more teal). Cannot see bottom of deep end yet.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.