Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Stained skimmer and basket

1. Back To Top    #1

Stained skimmer and basket

Hello everyone! I just recently purchased a new house with a plaster 10k gallon pool. This is my first time maintaining a pool and it has been a learning experience for sure! Unfortunately the house was unoccupied for a couple of years and from what the neighbors tell me the pool was a swamp for most of it. The people I bought it from did manage to get it cleaned up except for some stains in various areas. The worst staining is around the skimmer and the skimmer basket so I decided to tackle that first.

After doing some research here I thought it might be metal staining so I carefully followed the ascorbic acid treatment instructions. Unfortunately, it had no impact. I'm not sure what to try next. Any suggestions? Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Stained skimmer and basket

Welcome to TFP!!!

Well, that is pretty interesting Have you tried just putting a vitamin C tablet directly on the stain and letting it sit there and dissolve for awhile? That would be the best was to determine if it is iron staining.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

I rubbed the acsorbic acid power on it and I didn't notice any changes. I had already bought so I went through the process anyway. I put in about 1 lb of it in the pool, let the pump run for 24 hours and nothing.

4. Back To Top    #4

There are other stains in the pool too, but those look different, more like discoloration of the plaster. They are at the bottom and I can't get a good picture of those.

5. Back To Top    #5

So I got another clue. It turns out my chlorine readings were way off since I have been using a DPD test kit and it kept showing no FC or TC, but in reality my chlorine level is way higher. I finally realized this today so I diluted the test and looks like my numbers are actually:

FC 10
    TC 15
    pH 7.6
    CYA 38

I suspect the high chlorine could have gotten in the way of the ascorbic acid working. I want to try it again, but I'm not sure what to do about my chlorine situation. Should I let it come down on its own?