Still cloudy after all these days . . .

Jul 27, 2012
I have a 33' above ground vinyl pool.

It is testing at 17 FC and 45 CYA using a Taylor K-2006

I started the SLAM a week ago, and the pool is a cloudy, but light blue (you can almost make out the bottom). When I tested my CC this afternoon, it was 0 - so I will be testing overnight tonight.

So, my question - if I pass the overnight then what else might be responsible for the cloudy color. I did have the FC up to 22 for most of the week, can TOO much FC cause a cloudy color?

Thanks in advance,

Kathryn

I THINK I included a picture of the ladder :)

Attachments

• 100_4824.jpg
    100_4824.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 228
Having the water clear is one of the 3 criteria to stop the SLAM process.

What kind of filter do you have?
Please add your pool details to your signature and location to your profile as described HERE as it will help us help you.

Yeah, keep filtering. The 3 slam criteria is
Pass teh overnight chlorine test
CC less than .05
water is clear

It will take a little while to filter out all of the killed algaes. If you have a sand filter, it may take even a few days. Looking very good though! You are almost there!

If you visit Pool School, you can find instructions for adding a little DE to a sand filter (if you have sand). How often are you backwashing, if your filter requires it? Theres always the option of clarifier, if you're getting impatient. It's not required, and an additional expense, but it is an option.

Without a working gauge - look at your return flow. As long as you have good flow from the return(s) you don't need to backwash yet. When the flow becomes weak, then backwash. A dirty sand filter filters better, so in effect adding some DE to the sand "dirties" the sand and creates a layer that catches finer particles than sand alone.

If you are backwashing too often it can take longer to clear the cloudiness.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
We are now on week two of SLAM and the kids are getting anxious. I tested last night and we were at 16.5 CC - this morning 16.0 CC NO FC but the pool is still not blue? I'm only backwashing when the pressure is up (replaced the gauge). And still brushing daily and running the vacuum. Is there anything else I can do at this point to help the cloudy along?

My CYA was 45

5-21-14.jpg

I can tell by the color, and the fact you passed the OCLT, that you are in home stretch. Did you try the DE in the filter trick? Otherwise Walmart sells a relatively inexpensive HTH clarifier if you are just absolutely out of POP.

- - - Updated - - -

I think you have the CC and FC reversed... right?

For everyone reading this thread, I want to emphasize the importance of a working gauge.

Not because I sell them, but to manage your pool water properly, you REALLY need a gauge that will show you the performance of your system.

I think you have the CC and FC reversed... right?

If only it was the first thing I had gotten reversed ;)

The CC - combined chlorine - is what I test first (and the one that I am keeping high during SLAM) and the FC - or free chlorine - is what is what I test second (and the goal is zero or close to it).
Scratch that - reverse it

No - I haven't yet tried the DE, but will see if I can find some today.

Thank you all for your encouragement and support. Most folks around here look at me like I'm crazy - okay, they were doing that before I got a pool, but still - when they find out about my pool care habits. And not being able to get that crystal clear blue, I was beginning to wonder myself.

I would let the kids in the pool if the fc level was close to shock level. But it's your kids and pool.

Kids are really good at stirring up the water.

That water looks good, but I can't tell you how long it will take to clear just that it will. I also can't tell you how long it will take for my pool to clear only how long it has taken in the past.

Sent from my SCH-I200 using Tapatalk

If only it was the first thing I had gotten reversed ;)

The CC - combined chlorine - is what I test first (and the one that I am keeping high during SLAM) and the FC - or free chlorine - is what is what I test second (and the goal is zero or close to it).

No - I haven't yet tried the DE, but will see if I can find some today.

Thank you all for your encouragement and support. Most folks around here look at me like I'm crazy - okay, they were doing that before I got a pool, but still - when they find out about my pool care habits. And not being able to get that crystal clear blue, I was beginning to wonder myself.
Yep that's backwards cc is the second test and should be 0, fc is the first test, assuming you are using the recommended test kit.

Give the DE a try it might work for you, I don't see much difference in my pool using it.

Sent from my SCH-I200 using Tapatalk

Dang - I was VERY excited about using it in my garden :) - thanks for the quick response.

- - - Updated - - -

Most likely your filter just needs more time, but it has been a while and I'm suspicious. If you have a chance, I suggest you post a complete set of test results. We can often spot issues that way.

I don't know if it would matter, but we have had a high pollen count the last two weeks AND two major rain storms (enough rain that I had to drain the pool). That may have something to do with the long haul. But, if the high FC is okay to swim in (for a couple of hours) then the kids are happy and I will keep on SLAMing away.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.