Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Daily Bleach usage

1. Back To Top    #1

Daily Bleach usage

Wanted to throw this question out there. How much bleach do yall end up adding on a daily basis? Not talking about fighting algae or anything off the wall like that...just daily maintenance.

First time fill for me here, of course I had to add CYA to the water and cannot retest it until this Friday to see where that level is, but I'm having to add aroun 70oz or so of bleach daily since our initial fill completed last friday. A couple of us have been using the pool each day and Air temperatures have been in the low 80's each day. I Don't have a CC problem either...is my daily usage normal given our sunny and warm conditions?
    24' Round Above Ground - 13,500 gal, Cartridge Filter, Installed on 5-7-14, First Time Pool Owner! TFP True Believer!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Daily Bleach usage

Depends on your pool size. It is normal to have to add 2-3ppm of FC everyday. For you that would be 40-60 oz of 8.25% bleach every day.

So, you are a little high and I would think you may need to bump you CYA level up a little more after you test it.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

I was thinking the same thing with the CYA...will know more upon retest Friday...but all in all, it looks like I'm close to my normal daily addition amount. I just needed a little reassurance being new to this whole pool thing and all
    24' Round Above Ground - 13,500 gal, Cartridge Filter, Installed on 5-7-14, First Time Pool Owner! TFP True Believer!

4. Back To Top    #4

A full set of test #s would be useful too, particularly if they aren't pool store tests.

- - - Updated - - -

Last summer, my first using the BBB method, during the hottest part, July-early Sept, I was putting in a half to full jug of 8.5% in my 24K pool daily.
    Pool size: 24000gal inground Vinyl-Taylor k-2006 and k-1766 test kits and-speed stir
    Intermatic P1353ME digital timer w/freeze sensor
    CircuPool Si-45 SWCG System
    Polaris 280 vacuum/Polaris PB4-60 boost pump
    Pentair IntelliFlo VS 3hp Pump--Pentair sand filter

5. Back To Top    #5

I too am new to this and I have been putting in close to a full jug of 8.25 in mine daily and hope it's higher than normal. I can't wait to see my CYA level. I added it last Saturday.
    ~16,200 gallon 18x34 Doughboy AG pool. Fully above ground (not buried, no deep end). TF-100 test kit. Variable speed pump. Cartridge filter.

6. Back To Top    #6

I use close to a gallon a day when it gets real hot.
    23,000 gal IG Plaster 1989
    Purex Triton FNS Plus DE Filter Model FSNP 60
    1 Hp pump, Polaris 380 w/booster pump
    700 Gal Spa
    Laars Lite Heater T-F 100 Test Kit

7. Back To Top    #7

I also have been averaging about a gallon a day of 8.25% - 25,000 gallon pool PH 7.6, Alk 120, CYA 45

Is this normal?? I am reluctant to bump up CYA because my opening was flawless this year - everything clean and balanced within 2 days. (Have it opened 2 1/2 weeks now).
    Pool: 25,000 gal.(appx.)/IG/Vinyl/DE
    1.5 HP superpump / Filter Flow Rate - 72gpm (as per spec.)
    Hayward 300,000 BTU natural gas heater / Polaris 380
    Long Island, NY

8. Back To Top    #8

At this time of the year, until my water temps get into the upper 80s, my fc usage historically has only been 1-2ppm per day. Then, later in the summer I needed to pour a bottle in every day; one of the reasons I now have a swg.
    Pool size: 24000gal inground Vinyl-Taylor k-2006 and k-1766 test kits and-speed stir
    Intermatic P1353ME digital timer w/freeze sensor
    CircuPool Si-45 SWCG System
    Polaris 280 vacuum/Polaris PB4-60 boost pump
    Pentair IntelliFlo VS 3hp Pump--Pentair sand filter