Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: I don't THINK I need to SLAM but maybe you think I should help ?

1. Back To Top    #1

I don't THINK I need to SLAM but maybe you think I should help ?

I will try and give key details....

Had a mess cover and open to a super clear pool with a TON of silt on the floor.

SLAMMED right away, and passed all tests, yet left silt in bottom as I had some issues with my filter that needed addressed. Silt was a mix of construction dust and dirt over the winter coming in.

(filter issue was I was not able to filter fine dirt)

Still have a filter issue, but buddy offered his use of his robot - yeah - well, however all his robot did was stir up the dirt like crazy and now my pool has suspended dirt like mad...makes it look cloudy of course.

I have bleach injection, so chlorine never fell below standards....I still pass the Overnight loss test and the water is CLEAR and all numbers are good...just the suspended dirt makes it look cloudy.

SLOWLY I will get the dirt out, but will take forever (basically once it settles to ground I will have to filter manually to waste).

Is there ANY REASON I should consider SLAMMing again...really don't want to waste the $$ as now my CYA is up to 40 and will use a TON more bleach, etc. But I will if you all force me

Thanks!
    14,750 GAL IG Fiberglass (16 x 33) NE Ohio || Jandy 1HP 2 speed Pump || Waterco MultiCyclone 16 Centrifugal pre-filter (removed due to not working with sand filter) || 30" 575 Lb. Sand Filter || AquaCal 140K BTU Heat Pump || Solar Cover || Inter-fab Adrenaline Slide || GLI Monsoon Solar Cover Reel || K-2006C Test Kit || BBB with Liquid Chlorine Stenner Injection || Rayner Mighty Mesh Winter Cover

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: I don't THINK I need to SLAM but maybe you think I should help ?

I would not think you need to SLAM since you are passing all the criteria. Sounds like you just need to vacuum to waste or get a functioning cleaner/filter.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

What HE said^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

4. Back To Top    #4

Ok thanks guys...glad I get the pro's to agree.

Now on to the continual fight with my Pool Builder as it relates to the filter issues...
    14,750 GAL IG Fiberglass (16 x 33) NE Ohio || Jandy 1HP 2 speed Pump || Waterco MultiCyclone 16 Centrifugal pre-filter (removed due to not working with sand filter) || 30" 575 Lb. Sand Filter || AquaCal 140K BTU Heat Pump || Solar Cover || Inter-fab Adrenaline Slide || GLI Monsoon Solar Cover Reel || K-2006C Test Kit || BBB with Liquid Chlorine Stenner Injection || Rayner Mighty Mesh Winter Cover

5. Back To Top    #5

Disregard this post.
    Last edited by Smykowski; 05-12-2014 at 07:59 PM. Reason: Bad advice because I didn't read thoroughly.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

6. Back To Top    #6

question - the bleach injection system - off when you did the OCLT? Correct?
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

7. Back To Top    #7

Yes... But great question for sure

8. Back To Top    #8

I hesitate to suggest this and it might be a gamble that could cause unwanted problems but some clarifier and brushing (to keep everything suspended) MAY help. If you are very very sure what you're dealing with is dirt/sand/dust then it might work out (might). Noone here can suggest it as a fix (as apparently it is unpredictable, are some old threads if you do a search).

I use it a few times a year to catch very fine particles that can only be seen at night with the light on and it seems to do a good job.

Do Not try this until a more senior person comments (I'm responsable for what happens in my pool but not yours, if I break my pool that's on me )

Id like to add I'm trying to be helpful (but may be giving you bad advice) my pool is diffrent than yours and what works for me may not work for you (and might make your situation worse)

End caveats

9. Back To Top    #9

Honestly I am thinking I need something else...until I win my battle with my PB, this stupid GLASS MEDIA just won't filter **** !

I continually pass the OCLT, yet my water is still not crystal. Nothing changed other than stirring up all the FINE DIRT.

I was thinking a flocculent might clump all this fine silt and allow me to vacuum to waste or at least clump it enough for my filter or that dang robot to grab ?

Any other advice...I guess for the heck of it I should post the relevant test from this AM.

FC - 5 - PM night before right after heavy bather load (well 45 minutes after)
    FC 4.5 - AM
    CC - less than .5
    Ph 7.5
    CYA - 30 ish

10. Back To Top    #10

I wonder if DE could be added to a glass media filter. Is the glass the same consistency as a sand filter ?
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

11. Back To Top    #11

I wonder if the glass beads are channeled? There has to be something wrong. Anything that is called a filter ought to be able to at least filter out the particles large enough to see with the naked eye.

Have you considered Adding DE to your filter?
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by pwrstrk View Post
    I wonder if DE could be added to a glass media filter. Is the glass the same consistency as a sand filter ?

I actually tried this last year (will try to find thread) abut the DE just blew right through....and there are NO CHANNELS in the media, just tore it apart and looks perfect...even "deep cleaned" it to see if there were buried channels.

- - - Updated - - -

Found my thread from last year...same issue.

http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...gh-Sand-Filter