Cloudy water after cleaning filter

gx22

Jan 21, 2014
CA
The flow from the return jets slowed down a lot recently. So 2 days ago I decided to take apart my Hayward 48 sq ft DE filter and clean all elements. After cleaning and assembling the filter, I put in DE in the skimmer, measured with Leslie's blue scoop. The pool store guy told me that 1 scoop is 0.5 pound. According to the DE instruction, it needs 6 pounds. So I put in 12 scoops. I mix DE in a bucket of water and pour it in slowly. After a few hours, the pool became a bit cloudy. When I open the pump basket, I see some very white cloudy water coming from the motor port. Before the cleaning I never see white cloudy water appears in the pump basket. Return jets flows fast and seems clear.

Did I add too much DE so my pool turns cloudy? How do I remove the excess DE?
Is it normal to see white water flow back from the filter to the pump basket when opened?

That was way too much DE I think .... when I measured with the blue scopp from Leslie's I was getting around 0.9 pounds per scoop. You should always measure it for yourself.

Although I am not sure the extra DE would cause what you observed. You will have to backwash to removed the DE and then recharge it again, but only use 80% of the full amount ... I would use 5 scoops (assuming you weigh it and get around 0.9 pounds).

You should not see white backing out. Did you purge all the air from the filter before adding the DE back in?

What I actually did was weighed/measured out the DE once and then marked the bucket to where I need to fill it for a full charge or a re-charge.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.