Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: 52" vs 54"... with young kids

1. Back To Top    #1

52" vs 54"... with young kids

I'm in the market for an AGP. I've am considering either the Sharkline Venture or the Matrix. I like that the Venture is 52" (because my kids are still pretty young), but I am not sure that I care for the wall. Seems a little bright white. I like the look of the Matrix, but that is only available in the 54". Does the 2" really make that much of a difference?

Are there any other pools that you'd recommend? I don't mind spending a little more to get a good quality pool. The main feature that I like about both pools above is the resin bottom rail. I have a a fairly wet area... so I think the resin would hold up better over time.

Thanks,
    Bob-

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: 52" vs 54"... with young kids

I would not think the 2" will make any difference unless it is the difference of standing with you nose above water vs. nose below water ... but all kids grow.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Look at the Radiant Metric pool. About to install this weekend.
    27' Radiant Metric, 17,100 gallons
    Pentair Dynamo 1.5hp 220v
    Circupool RJ45, Sand Filter, Borates
    Dolphin DX6 Robotic cleaner
    TF 100 Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Love my Venture! I think the wall is a lot nicer than the Matrix. And I'd go with the 54"wall because kids grow and you wouldn't let them swim by themselves anyway!
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

5. Back To Top    #5

52" vs 54"... with young kids

Get the 54". I've got young kids and my son can tippy toe to keep his mouth out of the water and my daughter would be under water if she had her feet on the bottom. They are excellent swimmers though, but an adult is always in with them or right near by.
    Kids grow fast ! 😎
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

6. Back To Top    #6

The top of the wall and the actual water level to the middle of the skimmer are two different things---up to 6" difference.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

I could only get a 52 inch and I would love that extra 2 inches in height.... My youngest is six....
    Intex Rectangle 18 x 9 x 52', 4544 gallon (18000 litres), 0.75 hp pool pump, 100 sqft Zodiac Titan Cartridge Filter - 40mm, Stenner Peristaltic Pump chlorine injection system, Intex Over The Wall Skimmer, Intex Fittings with 40mm plumbing Lil Patch Of Heaven. Build/Construction http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...lice-of-heaven

8. Back To Top    #8

I love my 54" wall. My last pool was a 48"wall.

9. Back To Top    #9

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by Casey View Post
    I love my 54" wall. My last pool was a 48"wall.
    So was mine...
    Intex Rectangle 18 x 9 x 52', 4544 gallon (18000 litres), 0.75 hp pool pump, 100 sqft Zodiac Titan Cartridge Filter - 40mm, Stenner Peristaltic Pump chlorine injection system, Intex Over The Wall Skimmer, Intex Fittings with 40mm plumbing Lil Patch Of Heaven. Build/Construction http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...lice-of-heaven

10. Back To Top    #10

well, our pool we are ordering comes in both 52 or 54. I didnt ask, as it wont matter, we will all be floating around in the 7 ft deep end anyway.....
    Partially buried Doughboy Desert Spring 16 x 32, sport pool, with 7 ft deep middle, 20,000 gallons, Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1.5 HP 2 speed pump, 250 lb sandfilter, 2 Doughboy skimmers and 2 returns. 2 cascade fountains.
    Taylor K-2006 kit. Zodiac Barracuda Ranger suction side cleaner.
    TFPC method and is crystal clear every day thanks to TFP!!!

11. Back To Top    #11

We are going with 52" plus a deep end (doughboy). Trying to keep everyone happy! Two of our kids are still on the smaller side as well, so we will be getting the wide steps for them to hang out on in the shallow end.

12. Back To Top    #12

to those with small kids, you need Puddle Jumpers, then they wont be confined to the ladder. Best invention ever for kids. My 3 year old daughter jumps in and swims just like her big brothers do. They are also Coast Guard approved life vests and IMHO are safer and better for kids than a regular life vest because the child wont "up end" and can actually swim in a Puddle Jumper. Its very hard for kids to swim in a standard life vest. Puddle Jumpers are way more comfortable and not near as hot as a regular vest.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/34761240?w...731781&veh=sem
    Partially buried Doughboy Desert Spring 16 x 32, sport pool, with 7 ft deep middle, 20,000 gallons, Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1.5 HP 2 speed pump, 250 lb sandfilter, 2 Doughboy skimmers and 2 returns. 2 cascade fountains.

13. Back To Top    #13

gtnos - thanks for the recommendation. The one's that can't swim yet would definitely be wearing some sort of safety/flotation device.

14. Back To Top    #14

Are you purchasing a ladder or a nice set of steps for the little ones? I've never regretted buying the wedding cake steps for my daughter when I bought our first pool. It was a nice place for her to play and rest while she was learning to swim.

15. Back To Top    #15

was going with the a-frame type for now... possibly build a deck next year. Wife wanted the ladder in the pool so it wouldn't stick out much... but I think we are gonna go with the stairs. She was thinking about when she was a kid, running around her pool to make a whirlpool... the stairs would stick out too much. But I think it is going to be a number of years before our kids are doing that... and for the reasons mentioned above... the stairs are the better way to go.

16. Back To Top    #16

We would do the whirl pool with the steps. It never impeded our whirl pool.

17. Back To Top    #17

I'm happy to hear that. We did whirl pools when I grew up in our AGP. I wondered if the big steps would impede too. Ha!
    MermaidMama

18' Round x 52" Doughboy AGP ~ TF-100 Test Kit
    Powerline XP Pump 1.5 HP ~ AquaView 20" Sand Filter ~

18. Back To Top    #18

we are going with the cake steps on our doughboy 16x32. $399 bucks, but since we wont be taking the ladder, pool company is crediting us $140.00, so those cake steps are actually going to be $259.00. Well worth the $$$ im sure.

19. Back To Top    #19

We went from an intex to a 54" I don't notice a huge difference with the 2" depth change. If you're going to worry about the kids 2" isn't going to be what makes you worry or not The matrix wall isn't bright, here's a link to our installation photos and finished pool, solar panels, wall, etc.

https://suzyabbott.shutterfly.com/22

One thing to be aware, the resin top rim is very soft and scrapes up very easily. If I had to do it again, I'd still do the Matrix, but be more careful of what comes in contact with the uprights/top rim. we're scratched from the water bottles holding the winter cover down. No one would notice except it's a brand new pool which is a bummer. Also note that because it's all resin it has a different bracket set up on the top rim, if you want a over the wall light or SWG it won't fit. We have our SWG separate from the filter system and we have it hanging on the top rail instead of under it.

For steps I recommend the Innovaplas majestic steps with the colored light kit. it's AWESOME!

We have a 1 1/2 HP pump, and when the pumps on high it is almost a lazy river. we typically filter for 6 hours every night on low and it makes a fine whirlpool with all the gunk in the center.

Other recommends: Rover Jr. robot vacuum. throw it in and it does its thing and you don't have to deal with cleaning the filter. Also the Solaxx Retro salt generator is great!
    24' Sharkline Matrix. Coral Reef Liner. Clearwater II Cartridge Filter. Saltron Retro Salt WaterGenerator. 4x20 Ecosaver Solar Panels, Rover Jr. robot vac. Fiberglass Steps and Lifesaver pool fence/gate.

Previous pool: 9x18 intex with salt water generator and vinylworks 5x10 deck.