Life Span of Plaster

I don't own a plaster pool, but from what I have read that seems to be about the right age to potentially start having issues, depending on how well it was kept in balance, maybe a year or so early

"how long should plaster last" is virtually impossible to say. There are numerous factors that play into that. Here's a few so you can see I'm not just being a jerk with my answer, I'm being honest and upfront.

How the plaster was mixed, what was mixed in with the plaster, the length of time it was mixed, and the water content of the plaster mix all play into this answer...

Then you get into how the plaster was troweled, etc.

Finally you have water chemistry.

I've seen plaster jobs that have lasted 20-30yrs with zero cracking/pitting. I've heard stories of them crapping out in under 10. (IMO, if the chemistry has been taken care of a good quality plaster should last >10yrs). If it lasts less than that I'd bet a dollar there's a reason and it's in materials and/or workmanship.

Regarding cracks specifically I've heard stories of pool plaster cracking if they were drained and left that way for an extended period (Although I have personal experience that 100% contradicts this). Another possibility is the crack goes into the shell as well. If this is the case, that's bad.

Other more knowledgeable people than I will be here soon I'm sure. These are just my experiences, and the opinions I have based on those.

Our original plaster lasted 30 years, but you have to remember, plaster chemistry has changed over the years. Some of the additives that made plaster jobs last forever were not so good for the environment. You would be hard pressed to get a finish warranty longer than 7-10 years these days.

Kinda makes you wonder what is worse for the environment - a pool being plastered 3 times over 30 years or once every 30 years with "bad for the environment" additives. I bet the answer is not that simple by the time you include energy usage and whatever else might be in today's plaster.

Reactions: RickRude
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.