Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Life Span of Plaster

1. Back To Top    #1

Life Span of Plaster

My pool is about 7 years old and has started showing some cracks in the plaster. About how long does plaster last? Would it be normal to have some cracking in a pool that is only 7 years old?
    Dallas, TX. 27,000 gallon in-ground free-form gunite. Built in 2007. DEL60 filter with single speed 2hp Hayward pump. Polaris 360 cleaner with associated booster pump. Stenner chlorine pump and tank. Intermatic P1353ME timer.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Life Span of Plaster

I don't own a plaster pool, but from what I have read that seems to be about the right age to potentially start having issues, depending on how well it was kept in balance, maybe a year or so early
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

"how long should plaster last" is virtually impossible to say. There are numerous factors that play into that. Here's a few so you can see I'm not just being a jerk with my answer, I'm being honest and upfront.

How the plaster was mixed, what was mixed in with the plaster, the length of time it was mixed, and the water content of the plaster mix all play into this answer...

Then you get into how the plaster was troweled, etc.

Finally you have water chemistry.

I've seen plaster jobs that have lasted 20-30yrs with zero cracking/pitting. I've heard stories of them crapping out in under 10. (IMO, if the chemistry has been taken care of a good quality plaster should last >10yrs). If it lasts less than that I'd bet a dollar there's a reason and it's in materials and/or workmanship.

Regarding cracks specifically I've heard stories of pool plaster cracking if they were drained and left that way for an extended period (Although I have personal experience that 100% contradicts this). Another possibility is the crack goes into the shell as well. If this is the case, that's bad.

Other more knowledgeable people than I will be here soon I'm sure. These are just my experiences, and the opinions I have based on those.
    IG gunite/plaster pool/spa Started 1/17/14, Plastered 5/16/14
    Size: 12'-21'x39' free form, depth ranging from 4' to 7, attached 6 person spa with spillover.
    Equipment: Whisperflo 2hp pump, Pentair 30" sand filter, Pentair Mastertemp 400k BTU heater, 1hp Whisperflo for waterfalls, and a blower for spa floor

4. Back To Top    #4

Our original plaster lasted 30 years, but you have to remember, plaster chemistry has changed over the years. Some of the additives that made plaster jobs last forever were not so good for the environment. You would be hard pressed to get a finish warranty longer than 7-10 years these days.
    19204 Gallon L Shape with a 10X10 2nd Step Baja Ledge. Intellichlor IC-40, IntellipH, Cartridge Filter, Pentair Heater/Chiller (Heat Pump). Tons of Deck with Deck Jets. Construction Complete 6/5/17.

"If you don't measure it, you can't manage it!"

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks for the replies guys. Hopefully my cracking isn't an issue, but I think I better get a professional to check it out just to make sure.
    Dallas, TX. 27,000 gallon in-ground free-form gunite. Built in 2007. DEL60 filter with single speed 2hp Hayward pump. Polaris 360 cleaner with associated booster pump. Stenner chlorine pump and tank. Intermatic P1353ME timer.

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by elwood58 View Post
    Our original plaster lasted 30 years, but you have to remember, plaster chemistry has changed over the years. Some of the additives that made plaster jobs last forever were not so good for the environment. You would be hard pressed to get a finish warranty longer than 7-10 years these days.
    Things just aren't made like they used to be!

7. Back To Top    #7

Kinda makes you wonder what is worse for the environment - a pool being plastered 3 times over 30 years or once every 30 years with "bad for the environment" additives. I bet the answer is not that simple by the time you include energy usage and whatever else might be in today's plaster.
    30X40' free-form gunite/plaster pool, 4-8' deep with flagstone beach entry, gunite "rock" retaining wall with multiple small waterfalls/planters, grotto/slide/waterfall combo, 18" raised spa with waterfall into pool