Do we need a new pump? Or can we just replace parts?

The pot on our pump has an obvious crack. It needs to be replaced and a replacement is easily found.

Today a guy came out to look at it. He put this blue pool and spa glue on the crack. When he did the pump started moving water and the pot stayed full with a little air in it.

However, there was a small crack/leak in the front housing of the whole pump setup that I didn't notice before, because no water was moving at all.

His answer to the problem is to get a whole new pump.

When I looked up the pump specs though, I see that I can buy a new housing and pot for a fraction of the cost of a new pump.

Is there any reason that I shouldn't be able just to by the new front housing and pot? Even though it is cheaper, they are still costly parts and I don't want to waste time or money if I just need to bite the bullet and buy a new pump! I attached pictures of the housing and leak.IMG999.jpgIMG998.jpg

If it were me, I would get a new pump with a two speed motor.

I wish I had seen your post in February, when I replaced my pump. I threw out the pot and front housing (same pump as yours) after somebody stole the motor and the back half of the pump.

I am a DIY guy, and I love taking things apart, so I always lean towards "fix, don't replace."

However, if you were to go to a 2 speed motor on a new pump, the savings on your electric bill might be enough to send you the new pump route.

How much for the parts you would need, and how much for a replacement pump?

New pump ranges from 500-600. (If we buy the exact same pump, just for DIY ease of not having to move plumbing and electric) New parts are a little under 200.

I need to go the most cost effective way this season. Mr. Murphy has hit our house hard these past few months... any costly thing that could break/go out has. I just don't want to buy 200 dollars in parts if that won't even have a chance of fixing it.

The other question to ask is do you have any idea how much it costs to run your pump ?? How many hours a day do you run it and how many pool days a year do you have in Broken Arrow ?? I'd go the two speed route as it will pay for itself it's just the more you use it the sooner the pay back. Your electric utility might be able to help you out with the math.

Any chance you can use some product like 3M marine sealant on the inside to seal the crack and save replacing the pot ??

MMM05260-LRG.JPG

The same exact thing has just happened to me. The pump housing on my pump has developed a large crack. I'm wondering if I could use that 3M marine adhesive sealant to fix it?

I think I may even have the exact same pump model.. the housing part costs around $90 to replace

Here are the pics:

View attachment 29221

View attachment 29222

-JJ

Attachments

• pump housing 3 web.JPG
    pump housing 3 web.JPG
    92.4 KB · Views: 41
  • pump housing 2 web.JPG
    pump housing 2 web.JPG
    38 KB · Views: 40
I would NOT try to fix that. It's just too long and the housing is likely to just split and break off. There needs to be a certain amount of structural rigidity and the adhesive isn't going to provide that.

I'd also check the way it's mounted and plumbed to see if something is putting undue tension on the housing. There should be some flex in any set up and the way that's cracked looks like there is a problem unless it's damage from a freeze.

- - - Updated - - -

The previous posters leak seems to be running along the reinforcement rib and that's doable. Yours is running through the ribs, perpendicular to them and at least half way around the housing. Please save yourself the time, trouble, materials and hassle and just replace the section.

Yeah, you are right. I can see the whole thing just cracking off, but I don't think there is any undue tension on it. I imagine this pump is at least 15 years old. (We just bought this house with the pool in 2012). Last season I fixed some pin hole leaks in the housing with super glue. I think the hard winter took it's toll.

Well I'm a believer in old stuff falling apart. Had my share of "should have been easy" jobs turn into nightmares. I'd still check your plumbing just to make sure.
Does that housing have a drain plug at the bottom to drain it and do you leave the plug out over winter??

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.