Ok, so pool newbie here, I've been reading this forum for the past week or so to get information and the like. This place really is full of knowledge! So with that said, let me tell you a little bit about my situation. I just bought a place about six months ago, it came with an above ground pool that has not been used in a few years. I pulled the cover off yesterday, and not to my surprise, I was greeted with an algae infested cesspit. The algae is a fairly dark green, it's not to the black lagoon stage.
I ordered a Taylor K-2006 tester, as that seems to be the most highly recommended tester, I also got 10 pounds of Chlorine. Based on what I read online at: http://www.zodiacpoolsystems.com/Med...ming-Pool.aspx I would need 4 pounds of Chlorine to correct the issue. I know it takes alot of Chlorine to kill organic material, so would it benefit me to invest in an algaecide to help clear up the algae? Pool is a light to dark green. I know I need to clean my baskets out and the like prior to beginning this as well.
Is it pointless for me to test the water prior to shocking since it's soo far gone?
Also, what is the proper pressure for the filter to run at? What pressure would indicate I need to back wash it?
Thanks for helping a pool newbie out,