Ammonia problems?

Apr 21, 2013
Kansas City, Mo
Okay I'm having the same type of issue. I recently opened my pool and there was algae in pool because last year i could not get algae to go away no matter what I did so I get feed up and winterized it and closed it not knowing it would create ammonia in the pool this spring. So when I open my pool I took a sample to pool store and wont be doing that again thanks to TFP. i have a Taylor K2006 on the way as we speak. The readings I got last week from them was FC-0 CC-0 because I had not added any yet and PH- 7.4 and AK-100 and CY-0. So I went home and added chlorine and 4 lbs of CY to bring that level up. I shocked it and the FC level never went up so I added more shock and still nothing. I was testing it with test strips just to see if I had a FC level I know not the best way but should give me a reading. I wondered if the test were old or something so I dipped them in a bucket of shock and it turned the strip purple so not the strip.

Anyway today I went back I got another reading from Leslies and had them test for Ammonia because I was reading TFP and noticed that might be my problem or my CY level but didnt think it would be that because I only added 4 lbs. I told the guy at Leslies I think I have ammonia in my pool because I had algae in my pool when I opened it and my CY level was 0 and he said that algae will not turn CY into ammonia . I wasn't going to argue just wanted him to test it so he did and it should up as a 5 on the test strip for ammonia so I do have some. He said I have chlorine though and the readings were FC-3 and TC-3 CH-150, CYA-40, TA-60, PH-7.0. He then told me to add about 6 lbs of Oxidizing shock to kill Ammonia will that work because I do have about 20 lbs of it. Also I got home and dipped my test strip to compare and everything was about right except the chlorine it still shows FC-0 and CC-2.

So I been reading on here and went and got about 8 lbs of Borax to raise my PH (Haven't added anything yet). Do I need to raise my TA first or just raise the PH and leave TA were it is? Also do I need to just shock it very high with bleach to hold FC if so how much?

Also when I opened my pool I did vacuum to waste to try and get most the algae gone but didn't get near all of it and was still green after I brushed it around so maybe that's whats eating my chlorine I'm not sure but right not it's pretty clear. I have been running filter 24/7 and washing the filter every other day or so. So what do I need to do?

So what do I need to do?

1. Order your own test kit so you can learn to test accurately. We have virtually no confidence in pool store testing or test strips.

2. Stay out of the pool store. You cannot mix their advice with ours or expect us to comment on what they tell you. The end result is you end up in the middle of two different things and don't know which way to turn.

3. While you are waiting for your kit to come in, read "The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School. It'll give you a foundation on which you can build. We won't manage your pool for you but we will teach you how to do it on your own and save a lot of money by knowing what to do and not having someone tell you what to do.

Okay I have already ordered a test kit and read the Pool School. I won't be going into the pool store anymore because I learned they don't have a clue. So all I really need to know is to get rid of my ammonia in pool what PPM level of FC do I need to bring it to to get rid of it and anything else and have it hold FC? I will use the PoolMath to tell my how much just need to know what levels to bring it too. I know I need to bring my Ph up to 7.5 from 7.0.

Well, first you need to know what your CYA level is. Then you use the FC/CYA Chart to find out what you SLAM/shock level for FC is.
Then you follow the SLAM Process.

With ammonia, you should be testing at least hourly to start as the FC will quickly be consumed and the CC will go up. Once the FC starts to hold and the CC are lower, then you can reduce the frequency of testing.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, and don't bother raising the pH just yet and certainly not all the way up to 7.5. I would just leave it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.