Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Skimmer installed now what to do with floater

1. Back To Top    #1

Skimmer installed now what to do with floater

Hello all, thanks to several post/pictures and questions I installed my skimmer last night. Worked great, I cut the gasket and It makes since when you see the gasket. Anyway how do you guy's keep the floating chlorine basket out of the skimmer? I have the large one but it wants to park it's lazy rear in the skimmer opening.

Thanks
    Brian
    Intex 16X48, Intex sand filter, Game 3/4 HP pump. Springfield Mo

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Skimmer installed now what to do with floater

Are you talking about the puck floater?

We don't use them! That's how you keep it from parking it's lazy rear in the skimmer!
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

3. Back To Top    #3

I just put a few pucks in a floater myself (because I understand what they add and need the CYA ... so you?), and agree is usually parks itself at the skimmer while the pump is on, which is fine. And will float away when the pump is off.

The only concern I have for you is that the pucks would be sitting by your liner which could cause damage to it. I am not sure how liner folks avoid that.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Yes I am talking about the puck floaters. I have always used them seems to keep the chlorine level close to correct. I guess I could tie it off.

5. Back To Top    #5

So you monitor your climbing CYA due to the tablet use and adjust the FC up accordingly? And the acidic puck do not plummet your pH and TA too low?

Or are you not aware of these side-effects?

How much Pool School have you read? Start with these:
    ABCs of Water Chemistry
    Recommended Pool Chemicals
    How to Chlorinate Your Pool
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

puck floaters!!!!!!!!!!!!

im going to go sit quietly in the corner now and calm down.............
    Partially buried Doughboy Desert Spring 16 x 32, sport pool, with 7 ft deep middle, 20,000 gallons, Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1.5 HP 2 speed pump, 250 lb sandfilter, 2 Doughboy skimmers and 2 returns. 2 cascade fountains.
    Taylor K-2006 kit. Zodiac Barracuda Ranger suction side cleaner.
    TFPC method and is crystal clear every day thanks to TFP!!!

7. Back To Top    #7

Be gentle, he doesn't know he stepped on a land mine.

I used pucks and a floater exclusively for 25 years on my old pool. It works fine if you empty every fall and start fresh in the spring. I would tether the floater to a brick so it stayed in an area with decent water circulation but out of the higher use real-estate, specifically a few feet from a deep end return on the far side of the pool.

Now that I have a plaster pool that I can't empty, I still do the same thing with the same ancient floater when I use pucks to raise CYA or while on vacation.
    Current: 28,000G 18'x36' I/G AnthonySylvan Plaster; Waterway 60 sq.ft. DE Filter; 1.0hp x 1.65 SF Two-Speed (B2982) WhisperFlo; 2004-Present
    Previous: 40,000G 20'x40' I/G Koven unlined WWII salvage 5/8" marine steel; Lomart Stainless Sand Filter; 3/4hp Hayward SuperPump; 1946-2003 (managed by me from about 1964)
    Ancient Taylor K-2000, upgraded with Taylor CH, TA, and FAS-DPD, and TFT CYA tests.

8. Back To Top    #8

Thank you for those who answered the question I asked. I have used them for several years along with other people I know, that's just the way I do it.