New intex pool with Intex Salt Water System Chlorinator

Cooks

May 5, 2014
Kennedale, TX
Our close friends just gave us a great deal on their AG blue Intex pool with a brand new Salt water system that hadn't been opened. Ive tried reading the pool school stuff but Im confused. So I need to chlorinate the pool and then start the salt water system? Dont just start it with salt water system? My husband keeps saying we need to go to Leslie's or another place like that but I keep reading on here that we shouldnt do that. We leveled the ground this weekend and set it up and its currently being filled.

Question 1: do you have a test kit? Invest in a good one. Pool school spells out what makes a good one. It will save you more than it costs if you can avoid buying pails full of snake oils from the pool store.

You will need some bleach to chlorinate initially. Even the SWG manuals tell you to let the salt dissolve and mix for 24 hours before firing it off. And then you'll be playing catch-up. It's pretty easy to just pour some stuff out of the jug and stay ahead of any algae.

The other alternative is to buy some dichlor "shock" powder to both chlorinate initially and raise the CYA level. But that stuff is acidic, and without knowing what the current test results are, it's impossible to say whether that's a good idea or not.

You will need some source of chlorine initially. You will need some source of CYA aka stabilizer. You might need acid or baking soda. You will need salt.

I know, it sounds like a broken record, but you need a test kit to determine how much of what to add.

Now, for some good news... Check out post #5 in this thread. Doesn't that sound like fun?

Have you ordered one of the Recommended Test Kits yet?

You want to get the pool filled and circulating and then post up a full set of test results to see what needs to be adjusted. You will certainly need to manually maintain the FC levels while the salt is dissolving and while you are adding the stabilizer. Once everything is balanced, then you can fire up the SWG.

I urge you to avoid falling into the hands of the pool store. :shock:

We had an intex with SWG last year and a new hard side above ground this year. Here's the process we follow each spring

1. Buy the pool opening kit from the pool store that has the shock, algacide, etc. Dump it in and filter for 24 hours.
2. Check salt levels and add salt to proper level, filter for 24 hours and validate proper salt ppm.
3. Add CYA. WE always get the liquid, its more expensive but worth it to not have to deal with the sock, etc. filter for 24 hours
4. Check all the levels and then start running the generator/filter as needed. We would run the salt generator about 4 hours/day and filter for 6 in the 9x18 intex.

We usually had to add salt mid-summer as well as more CYA, but literally that was all we did all year. This is our first year with the 24' round pool but we opened to crystal clear water and followed the same procedure and we're at perfect levels and sparkling water.

Good luck!!

We had an intex with SWG last year and a new hard side above ground this year. Here's the process we follow each spring

1. Buy the pool opening kit from the pool store that has the shock, algacide, etc. Dump it in and filter for 24 hours.

Good luck!!

This is not recommended.... If you follow pool school you will never need algaecide again.... If you open and close the TFP way, once your water hits 60 degrees and adjust levels accordingly, there is no need to shock.... TPF method is SLAM..... And that shouldn't be necessary.....

I don't use the TFP methods. I have had zero issues with water balance, clarity, algae, etc, with salt water so I'll keep with what has worked for me! Do I trust the pool stores? NOPE, has this worked for us? YUP. It's up to everyone to figure out what works for them, I'm just showing what works for us!

Tip for salt. This is my second year with my intex 16x48 with salt water. The pool salt is really expensive but the salt they sell for water softeners work great. Make sure to get the crystals and not the pellets though, the pellets take forever to dissolve.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.