Not ready to open yet, but.....

I'm not ready to start my pool opening quite yet, maybe in another week or two, but I did sneak a peak under the cover and noticed to my surprise the pool is clear this year, the first after 3 years of swampy messes caused by incorrectly closing or the cover falling in (2 years in a row) over winter. However I'm wanting to keep it fairly clear till I actually do open it....this May we have had some unusually warm days in the 80s and but generally its in the 60s.

Would one be safe to drop a bottle or two of liquid chlorine into the pool even though there is no pump circulating anything yet or is it best to just risk it and deal when the cover officially comes off?

If you can get a pool brush under the cover to mix things up, you can add bleach.

Algae needs sunlight to grow, so if you keep the cover on, it should -should - stay clear until you have circulation, even if you don't add bleach now.

Unless it's a mesh Loop Loc cover. I'm pretty sure the sunlight will get through that.

I just wanted to say THANK YOU for this website. This is the first year I opened my pool and it was free of green! In years past the cover has fallen in over winter (this year I said enough was enough and hung half filled jugs of water over every set of grommets to hold that puppy down) or when I uncovered it I found it swampy.

This year the water was clear to the bottom with some sediment covering the bottom making the blue liner pattern a brownish blue. But as soon as I filled the pool to the skimmer and turned on the filter the liner magically shed its brownish tinge and it all swirled into the middle of the pool where I vacuumed it almost all completely up (I need to get a longer handle to reach the center of my pool)

It's crystal clear! In two days of opening I have a ready-to-swim pool, just in time for Memorial Day! Now to get the heater running :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.