Variable Speed to 2 Speed

May 12, 2014
Reading, PA
I have a Hayward Tristar Variable Speed (3HP) that I run on low speed except for when i run my my sidewall cleaner (which also has a booster pump). My builder specified a 2 HP 2 Speed. At building time they also wrote Variable Speed in the contract so I held them to the Variable Speed. I have already replaced the controller on the 5 year old unit. Now, my motor is failing. I do not have any other water features besides 2 fountains I occasional run. I have not been happy with the Hayward products installed by my builder, every component has failed thus far including most recently 2 LED Color Logic lights (which I cant believe I must replace with Haywards). My concern is replacing VS Motor and then my controller going bad again. My main question is this, is it OK to remove the Variable Speed Pump I have now (and the controller) and install a 2 speed motor onto my existing wethead? This will leave my plumbing in tact. I would prefer a 2 speed with switch on the motor to completely remove the need for any controller. I believe 2 HP would be sufficient. Absent a switch on the motor, I would need a new controller for the new motor. Option B is is going to a whole new pump and doing some re-plumbing so the new unit fits. Any toughs or Suggestions?

40,000 Gallons 22 X 45 Rec
8 returns
2 main drains
2 skimmers
about 60 feet of head
500 SF Hayward Cartridge Filter
2 inch lines
Hayward SWG

Welcome to TFP!

It is fine to replace the motor with a 2 speed 2 HP motor as long as your change the impeller at the same time. The motor must be at least as large as the impeller, and that pump comes with a 3 HP impeller. It should be simple enough to find a 2 HP impeller and install that, you have to remove the impeller anyway when replacing the motor.

Advantage Manufacturing Pool Pumps

Has anyone ever used replacement motors by Advantage Manufacturing in Tustin, CA and if so what is the review. I'm specifically interested in a 2 HP - 2 Speed motor with the built in switch to toggle between low and high when needed.

TY

Re: Advantage Manufacturing Pool Pumps

Welcome to TFP! I haven't but maybe someone can help you! Good Luck :goodjob:

Horse Power Needs

What size (HP) motor/pump do I really need?

I have the following configuration:
40,000 Gallon Rectangular Gunite Pool
Hayward 525 SF Swim Clear Cartridge filter
Hayward TriStar 2.7 THP (2.0 FRHP/1.35 SF) Variable Speed Pump with Hayward VS Controller
2 Inch Plumbing
2 Fountains (only used when trying to cool pool)
2 Main Drains
2 Skimmers
8 Returns
Approximately 60 feet of head

I will be replacing my VSP and Controller with a simple 2 speed motor, running on low speed most of time. I have no water features and only occasionally turn the pump on high. I am prone to surges. I will be putting in Surge Suppression too.

Thanks

Re: Horse Power Needs

Why are you only interested in a 2 HP? A smaller pump should be more than adequate.

I'm not so interested in a 2 HP as much as that was the size originally specked by my builder. I don't need the Variable Speed either so I'm trying to order the right replacement motor to fit my existing wethead and then I can use my existing plumbing re-wire the new motor for a simple hi low operation. I don't even use a timer. I just want to be sure I get enough flow on low to filter and chlorinate.

The smallest available pump is enough for that. You could all the way down to 1/2 HP if wanted to but you will need to swap out the impeller. Also, that assumes you don't care much about the fountain height although even 1/2 HP should still be decent.

Welcome to TFP!

It is fine to replace the motor with a 2 speed 2 HP motor as long as your change the impeller at the same time. The motor must be at least as large as the impeller, and that pump comes with a 3 HP impeller. It should be simple enough to find a 2 HP impeller and install that, you have to remove the impeller anyway when replacing the motor.

Thanks - I ordered a new 2 HP with 1.5SF and a new impeller rated for 2HP.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.