Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Variable Speed to 2 Speed

1. Back To Top    #1

Variable Speed to 2 Speed

I have a Hayward Tristar Variable Speed (3HP) that I run on low speed except for when i run my my sidewall cleaner (which also has a booster pump). My builder specified a 2 HP 2 Speed. At building time they also wrote Variable Speed in the contract so I held them to the Variable Speed. I have already replaced the controller on the 5 year old unit. Now, my motor is failing. I do not have any other water features besides 2 fountains I occasional run. I have not been happy with the Hayward products installed by my builder, every component has failed thus far including most recently 2 LED Color Logic lights (which I cant believe I must replace with Haywards). My concern is replacing VS Motor and then my controller going bad again. My main question is this, is it OK to remove the Variable Speed Pump I have now (and the controller) and install a 2 speed motor onto my existing wethead? This will leave my plumbing in tact. I would prefer a 2 speed with switch on the motor to completely remove the need for any controller. I believe 2 HP would be sufficient. Absent a switch on the motor, I would need a new controller for the new motor. Option B is is going to a whole new pump and doing some re-plumbing so the new unit fits. Any toughs or Suggestions?

40,000 Gallons 22 X 45 Rec
    8 returns
    2 main drains
    2 skimmers
    about 60 feet of head
    500 SF Hayward Cartridge Filter
    2 inch lines
    Hayward SWG

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Variable Speed to 2 Speed

Welcome to TFP!

It is fine to replace the motor with a 2 speed 2 HP motor as long as your change the impeller at the same time. The motor must be at least as large as the impeller, and that pump comes with a 3 HP impeller. It should be simple enough to find a 2 HP impeller and install that, you have to remove the impeller anyway when replacing the motor.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Thank you. Advantage Manufacturing makes a 2 speed 2 HP motor with an on board hi/lo switch. Has anyone ever heard of them and what's the review?

4. Back To Top    #4

Advantage Manufacturing Pool Pumps

Has anyone ever used replacement motors by Advantage Manufacturing in Tustin, CA and if so what is the review. I'm specifically interested in a 2 HP - 2 Speed motor with the built in switch to toggle between low and high when needed.

TY

5. Back To Top    #5

Re: Advantage Manufacturing Pool Pumps

Welcome to TFP! I haven't but maybe someone can help you! Good Luck
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

6. Back To Top    #6

Horse Power Needs

What size (HP) motor/pump do I really need?

I have the following configuration:
    40,000 Gallon Rectangular Gunite Pool
    Hayward 525 SF Swim Clear Cartridge filter
    Hayward TriStar 2.7 THP (2.0 FRHP/1.35 SF) Variable Speed Pump with Hayward VS Controller
    2 Inch Plumbing
    2 Fountains (only used when trying to cool pool)
    2 Main Drains
    2 Skimmers
    8 Returns
    Approximately 60 feet of head

I will be replacing my VSP and Controller with a simple 2 speed motor, running on low speed most of time. I have no water features and only occasionally turn the pump on high. I am prone to surges. I will be putting in Surge Suppression too.

Thanks

7. Back To Top    #7

Re: Horse Power Needs

Why are you only interested in a 2 HP? A smaller pump should be more than adequate.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

8. Back To Top    #8

I'm not so interested in a 2 HP as much as that was the size originally specked by my builder. I don't need the Variable Speed either so I'm trying to order the right replacement motor to fit my existing wethead and then I can use my existing plumbing re-wire the new motor for a simple hi low operation. I don't even use a timer. I just want to be sure I get enough flow on low to filter and chlorinate.

9. Back To Top    #9

The smallest available pump is enough for that. You could all the way down to 1/2 HP if wanted to but you will need to swap out the impeller. Also, that assumes you don't care much about the fountain height although even 1/2 HP should still be decent.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion View Post
    Welcome to TFP!

It is fine to replace the motor with a 2 speed 2 HP motor as long as your change the impeller at the same time. The motor must be at least as large as the impeller, and that pump comes with a 3 HP impeller. It should be simple enough to find a 2 HP impeller and install that, you have to remove the impeller anyway when replacing the motor.
    Thanks - I ordered a new 2 HP with 1.5SF and a new impeller rated for 2HP.