Pump Drain Questions form a New Pool Owner

May 5, 2014
Michigan
Yo,

Been lurking these forums here since last year...I live in Michigan, got a new home, came with a 30,000+ gallon in-ground pool! I think I did OK with it last year, had a few clarity issues, but eventually I got my chemistry down (still need that tester kit). Pool store checks for free so I just take my water there and they say it's good, keep a record of it, etc... Had a service come in to open/close it for me.

Anyways, I have some questions now that I get to run a pool for my 1st entire season:

1. I think my main drain was clogged at one point... when I had the pool inspected before I bought the place, I swear it worked no issues when he showed me. When I got the place, we did a ton of landscaping. After, I couldn't get flow from main drain only. So I said bah, I'll fix it next year and ran skimmer only for ~1 month.

2. Come this year, I tried to tackle the issue. I have a jandy valve and turned to main drain only, filled pump with like 12+ gallons of pool water, started back up, got some flow. Then, (I think this may be bad), but I'm getting some air in my line somewhere - every time I turn off system, water came rushing out of skimmer (because I was running skimmer only). So, what I did was I run skimmer only for about 10 minutes, switch to main drain with jandy valve and shut off pump quickly, and because of the back pressure, I ran to the pool and saw water/bubble coming out of main drain. Now, I get a lot more flow coming from main drain only, but not enough to fill pump / keep prime. I did one time, but will try again tonight. Might try a drain king if needed (do I have to go past the jandy valve?).

3. I'll check my o-ring seal on pump basket lid and re-teflon tape the drain plugs on the pump.

4. Backwashing - I did it once/twice last year. I have a huge commercial sand filter. Not sure what the EXACT or recommended procedure is - I've read/been recommended a couple ways. Therefore, can someone provide me a good procedure??

5. Starting the pump - I have no issues starting with skimmer only, just main drain atm - any other parts to the procedure I should know? I think I just learned that I should have the air relief valve open on the filter when starting, never usually did lol! I might be doing it wrong because I do get some air this year even skimmer only...I know it could be the pluming on the suction side. Then again it could be anything causing a leak, I just wanted to mention this.

Sorry for the long winded post, but there is a lot to know and learn about pool life! I'll add pictures later when I get home, but any comments and/or feedback is welcomed. I'm an engineer so I should be able to understand most of the things you guys throw at me. :)

Late,
Nick

1) It is fairly common for the main drain to clog up after several years. Things like what you have been trying can partially unclog it but it is rare you can get it completely back to normal.
4) Turn off pump, turn valve to backwash, run backwash for at least two minutes or until the water turns clear if that is longer, turn off pump, put back to normal operation, turn pump back on.
5) Yes, open the air relief until it runs water only when priming the pump. Should only be required if you have opened the pump strainer basket.

1) It is fairly common for the main drain to clog up after several years. Things like what you have been trying can partially unclog it but it is rare you can get it completely back to normal.
4) Turn off pump, turn valve to backwash, run backwash for at least two minutes or until the water turns clear if that is longer, turn off pump, put back to normal operation, turn pump back on.
5) Yes, open the air relief until it runs water only when priming the pump. Should only be required if you have opened the pump strainer basket.

Thanks for reply!

In regards to #1, I'll poke around, if I can't get it running normally, I'll have to try drain king or something else...

In regards to #4, there's no wait time needed inbetween, backwash/rinse and then back to normal filter? I've been told to wait like 20 min for some reason....

Lasty, do you think I could of broke/damaged anything by shutting pump off and letting backpressure go through main drain line?

OK, sorry for getting back so late, but here are some pictures:

Just a few basic pictures of my system. I replaced the pump basket gasket as well as re-taped the drain plugs. I think I got rid of the air in my skimmer line (probably due to bad seal to gasket).

I still can't get the pump working off main drain only still....

Latest issue - jandy valve seems to be sticking / not as easy to turn as it once did...

Last question: how do you detect a leak in your PVC piping?

All comments welcomed!

Thanks,
Nick

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hmm, all those rubber repair sleevs with hose clamps.

Leak detection? Do you see bubbles in the pump basket? If so, dribble water on the pipe joints and watch the bubbles. If the bubbles go away, it's because it's sucking the water in instead of air. An alternate is to coat the connections with shaving cream. If the bubbles diminish and the foam starts getting drawn in somewhere, you've found it. I'd start at one end and do things one at a time.

Hmm, all those rubber repair sleevs with hose clamps.

Leak detection? Do you see bubbles in the pump basket? If so, dribble water on the pipe joints and watch the bubbles. If the bubbles go away, it's because it's sucking the water in instead of air. An alternate is to coat the connections with shaving cream. If the bubbles diminish and the foam starts getting drawn in somewhere, you've found it. I'd start at one end and do things one at a time.

I see a little in the basket, but with the new gasket, they are pretty much gone.

I like the shaving cream technique, good idea.

The system is the way I got it - previous owner must of done the work.

Let's say I find a leak - is there a quick fix? Like spray sealant/glue? Or use the stuff to glue pvc? Or cut and repipe?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.