Visiting Houston

JVTrain

TFP Expert
Feb 3, 2014
Central Minnesota
Since there's quite a few Houston folks here... In Houston for a few days. Actually will be in Beaumont area for most of the time. Working days. Anything I should try to see/do in the evenings? Great places for food?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

If you are a foodie there are a ton of great places. Liberty Kitchen and Oyster bar is an all time favorite. Save room for the shake...

Great museums...

Miller outdoor theater is an AMAZING venue ... and it's free. Bring some food and a couple of brews (no glass please) and sit on the lawn.

http://milleroutdoortheatre.com/events/month/

If you are a foodie there are a ton of great places. Liberty Kitchen and Oyster bar is an all time favorite. Save room for the shake...

Great museums...

Miller outdoor theater is an AMAZING venue ... and it's free. Bring some food and a couple of brews (no glass please) and sit on the lawn.

http://milleroutdoortheatre.com/events/month/
I've only recently discovered Liberty Kitchen (the one on San Felipe which is right by my office) and love the atmosphere. I've only eaten a few things off the menu there but all were great.

What kind of things are you looking for? Museums, NASA, restaurants, parks? There are all of these things in Houston just depends what you're looking for.

Also plenty of great golf courses too to have a round on.

The museum of fine arts is pretty awesome. Natural science is good (mostly for kiddos) ... The butterfly exhibit at natural science is great for a date afternoon.

Since you say you will be in Beaumont for most of your visit I will try to mention a few dining options there, etc.

Beaumont is not exactly what one would call a tourist attraction, but I will say it does contain its fair share of good casual dining options with both regional and national chains. While there have been some must try local places over the years, I can't think of any that are still in business at this point. Since you probably already know what to expect from the national chains (Chili's, Cracker Barrel, Olive Garden, etc.) I will mention a few of the regional and regional based options:

For great seafood in a upscale casual dining location try Pappadeaux Seafood Kitchen (this along with several other casual dining and hotel options are located near the intersection of I-10 and Walden Rd on the west side of Beaumont). It is a member of the Houston based Pappas line of restaurants (they have at least half a dozen different brands), the food has a gulf coast, but not exactly cajun flare to it, but be aware the place is popular, the last time I was there driving back from Houston a couple of months ago on a Saturday evening they parking lot was packed and there was a 2 hour wait for a table at 5:30 pm, which is saying something considering how big the place it. (I would guess seating for a couple of hundred)

If you get there and they are packed and you don't want to wait there are a few other options in the area, (if you just had your heart set on seafood and don't mind the much lower quality there is a Joe's Crab Shack at the same exit on the south side of I-10 in the Tinsel Town parking lot), but I would suggest skipping it and trying some of the more regional cuisine next door at Cheddars another Texas based casual dining chain with a bit of an eclectic mix of food.

While in Beuamont you are going to want to stay mostly on the west or northwest parts of the city along I-10 on the west side or Hwy 96 / eastex freeway going to the NW. It is not that the rest of the city is particularly bad, it is just there is not much of interest to see there, industrial areas, etc. This is also where the majority of the dining / shopping / entertainment and hotels are located.

If your interested in Historic sites, about the only one that comes to mind in Beaumont, is Spindletop which was the birth of the oil industry in east texas http://www.spindletop.org/

As far as Houston goes, it might help to know what part of town you are interested in, the greater Houston area is one of the largest cities by land area in the U.S. and it just keeps growing, being nearly constant cityscape around 80 miles across in.

Agree with Isaac on pappadeaux. Great joint, they do have a full menu at the bar if the wait is too long for a table. Personally I would skip cheddars ( to each his own ).

Glad Isaac was able to provide insight to Beaumont.

Let us know what part of Houston and what kind of fare you are looking for.

Houston covers a lot of territory. Tell us roughly where you will be and whether or not you have access to a car and we can make some recommendations for you. Hopefully you have access to a car. Mass transit in Houston is a bit of an oxymoron.

If you are mostly in Beaumont drive another 45 minutes east and go to Steamboat Bill's. Just about everything is deep fried but its great!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Lots of great suggestions!

Was in town for a short time in Beaumont, the rest of the time was at IAH airport... ugh. Ate at Boomtown Barbecue. It was pretty good (for a northerner, who doesn't get great BBQ often) but I've had places I liked better in SC.

I'll definitely look into Pappadeaux. There has to be some great seafod to be eaten in the area. Another thing we don't get in my neck of the woods, unless it's freshwater you catch yourself! Steamboat Jill's would be another great option if we have more time in the evening to make a trip east.

I'll look up Twin Peaks.

The next trip will be in Beaumont and Port Arthur area.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.