Dirty Pool - Need help badly.

May 26, 2010
Hi everyone... just had to drain my above ground pool because I had tons of leaves, sticks, dirt in it from last fall. Long story but the cover got blow off before the water froze and all the leaves went in to the pool. Lesson learned for sure.

So anyways.. I have drained the pool so far down to 6 inches of water. Most all leaves and sticks are out but I'm left with dirt and nasty slug on the bottom. What should be my next step to get it cleaned out? I still have the hose pulling water out of it but not sure the best way to clean out all the settled dirt out. any help would be awesome.

Thanks,
Sean

Welcome to the forum. :lol:

I would get in the pool and clean out as much of the sludge as possible. Everything will go easier if you get as much gunk out as is possible.

Not sure of your set-up but you might be able to vacuum it out.

Use your leaf rake. AND get water in that pool! You don't want to drain any more because you could unseat your liner and get major wrinkles! I know it's not easy but draining an above ground pool should only be done for 2 reasons: #1 is liner change and #2 is to dismantle the pool. That's it! Next year, secure the cover better so you won't have to go through this again. Good Luck! :goodjob:

that little vac definitely got some stuff out but the mess allows direct to escape. I have the pool rover so I'm filling back up so that the water is just above the rover. The rover hopefully will get the dirt with its bag.

- - - Updated - - -

Use your leaf rake. AND get water in that pool! You don't want to drain any more because you could unseat your liner and get major wrinkles! I know it's not easy but draining an above ground pool should only be done for 2 reasons: #1 is liner change and #2 is to dismantle the pool. That's it! Next year, secure the cover better so you won't have to go through this again. Good Luck! :goodjob:

All of the large items are out of the pool now... mainly have dirt. It was extremely bad and so I felt I had to drain it because I used the pool rover for 2 weeks and it barely made a dent in it. hoping I can add some water back and let the rover at it for a few more days.

Vac to waste. Fill the pool and start the SLAM.

Sorry what do you mean by vac to waste? thanks
Some people have a valve on their filter that says Filter-recirc-waste-backwash-rinse

The waste setting directs water so the pump sucks it out of the pool and sends it out the backwash/waste port, never getting near the filter.

If you don't have one of those (see why we ask you to fill out your signature?) then you can't vacuum to waste so just ignore that.

You can vac to waste by filling your vacuum hose with water and creating a suction and dropping it over the side of the pool. It's essentially vac'ing to waste without a pump/filter. :goodjob:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.